Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LACK OF PHYSICAL MEMORY

• Please log in to reply

t3chnon3

t3chnon3

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
hey guys almost every single time i start my computer it restarts automatically when i put in my password for my account to log into windows. Then it goes to a blue screen saying lack of physical memory and a bunch of numbers.

I managed to lessen this problem(decrease the amount of times it restarted by itself) once. Someone posted a topic such as mine and there was a solution...just that i can't find the topic under search anymore
:whistling:.

All i know is i have to go to control panel,performance and maintenance...

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi t3chnon3...

I think what you are looking for is the setting to increase the Paging File (Virtual Memory)? Or are you looking to allocate more resources to the System Cache? Both are found in the same general area.

Open Control Panel, double click the "System" icon, and click the "Advanced" tab. In the "Performance" section, click the "Settings" button. Click the "Advanced" tab...Memory Usage and Virtual Memory are located here.

Sounds to me like you need more RAM (physical memory), though. :whistling:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 19 April 2006 - 06:20 PM.

t3chnon3

t3chnon3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
what should i change these settings to? :/ i dunno i just don't wanna mess up my comp.
Right now i have 1gb of memory(2x512MB kingston ram)...do u recommend getting another 2x512mb for a total of 2gb? Cause im a gamer too and i heard that it's better to get 2x1gb sticks and run them in dual core than to fill all the slots(4) with 512mb...but i don't wanna waste money nor the 512's i have now.

Edited by t3chnon3, 19 April 2006 - 08:54 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You RAM is fine...1 gig dual channel should be plenty for most anything.

If you game alot, you don't want to allocate memory to the system either...you'll want that reserved for your game applications.

What's your page file (Virtual Memeory) set to? It should be either set to "System Managed" which is what I usually recommend, or to 1.5 times the installed RAM...in your case, 1.5 gigs.

Maybe you need to clean things up a bit. Run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter from System Tools.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 19 April 2006 - 11:13 PM.