Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Visual Basic (Logic and Design)

• Please log in to reply

Brian_Watson

Brian_Watson

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have been asked to design a program, although I am having problems with certain inputs and the for loops commands. These are the instructions.

J. Lab Purpose (desired learning outcome):
1. Use WHILE loops
2. Use FOR loops
3. Calculate averages (drop lowest number)
4. Use Nested IF structure
5. Perform data validation one user input
6. Calculate totals

K. Narrative/Case Study: Lab Assignment 6

Professor Higgins has asked you to design the logic that will be used to calculate final averages and grades for his students. His grading algorithm is as follows:

Exam average … 50%
Quiz average …. 30%
Lab average …... 20%

Before calculating the quiz average, Professor Higgins drops the lowest quiz grade. When calculating the three individual averages, use FOR loops to help you. You will need to track the following information for the Final Output:
• Count the number of students input,
• each individual student average,
• a counter for each letter grade (accumulate the counter depending on the letter grade received).
Calculate the following for the Final Output:
• total class average (total of all individual student averages / number in class)
• percent of overall class for each letter grade (letter grade counter / number in class, etc)
After processing one student, ask the Professor if he wishes to process another student. If the response is positive (“N” or “n”), display the final output shown below.

Input:
From the instructor:
• Student name
• 11 quiz grades
• 2 exam grades
• 4 lab grades
Make sure the prompts and console input are user-friendly. Do not allow the instructor to input any negative grades or grades over 100.

I understand how to input the students name but not how to make it loop until the user prompts that there are no more students to input. I think I should use a while loops but do not know how to implement it into the pseudocode. I also do not understand how to make the program drop the one quiz grade. I do not expect someone to do this for me, I only need some fresh ideas and pointers as to where I'm going wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Advertisements

Brian_Watson

Brian_Watson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well, huge response.....nevermind then

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Sarcasm probably isn't the best tactic to remind us to take a look at this question. But, since the thread is back on top of the queue, do you still want any input on this problem?

well, huge response.....nevermind then

Brian_Watson

Brian_Watson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No. Thank you. I have figured it out. I appreciate the response though. Thank you anyways.