Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics & sound upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

scarface1100

scarface1100

• Pip
  • 9 posts
my computer is a brand new HP Pavilion a1340n...PCI express....
im interested in upgrading the graphics & sound cards...im using my computer mainly for top of the line gaming; game development & graphics desighn using software like maya, photoshop & 3ds max..
I have a 32 inch hdtv monitor & 7.1 surround sound....
I am a newbie in computer & software technology, but I have been developing game concepts & artwork for a couple years now as a hobby & would finally like to take it seriously & create some 3d concept games with the latest technology.....I recently bought a graphics card from best buy (3d fuzion NVidia geforce 7300 GS) for 100$; I havn't installed it yet , because I wanted to be sure this is exactly what I need...does anbody have any experiance or knowledge of this card? should it be o.k.? or will I see more of a differance buying a higher end card?
price is really not an issue, but I would really like to see & hear the differance if i am going to spend the extra loot....
Any reccomendations on graphics & sound cards are appreciated...I have been reading review after review & there is too many to choose from. :blink:
also , Id like to know the absolute best cards for PCI express ,just for a comparison to other recc's. :whistling:

Edited by scarface1100, 19 April 2006 - 08:38 PM.

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
There are many choices with the release of some priliminary 512mb graphics card- haveyou seen the x1800 or x1900 or even the 7900 from nvidia...those are very nice cards as well

it all depends on your budget- for sound- look at the audigy 2 zs- very nice sound quality...also what processer do you have now?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well if your into high end the 7300 isnt coming close to being good enough, your looking at spending two or three times as much for a card for high end gaming. Also making games and maps etc, needs a fair bit of ram if your upgrading then if you dont have at least a gig you might think about getting more.

The best card out at the moment is the X1900XTX, then its the 7900GTX, then its a toss up between the X1900XT and the 7900GT roughly similar performance wise the ATI cards have a slight technology advantage especially in the extras lie VIVO they are alot better. Then it goes down to X1800s and 7800s. Best budget cards right now are the 7600GT or the X850XT the fastest card from the last generation its pretty cheap these days.

Sound cards C-fi is the best, then audigy 4 then audigy 2, if you can afford it X-fi is good but as it runs at over $100 it can cost a bit to much, Audigy 4s are a good deal usually if you can find the cheaper versions.

scarface1100

scarface1100

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanks for the suggestions......WOW, 500-600$ for the lastest cards, un f!@#ing believable! my computer only costed me a G....do you think if I went with one of those high end cards like the x1800xtx or 7800gtx, it would be like putting a supercharger on a 1982 Ford Fiesta :blink: ......I have a pent 4 ,3.2 gz, 1 gb mem,250 gb HD....Im just trying to figure out if a $500 price differance is going to be ($500) noticable , compared to the 7300 card i already bought....A couple computer techs I know said I shouldn't have a problem with this card & that I wouldn't notice a huge differance if I bought anything higher than this , but it's nice to hear a differance in opinion...
Ive made mistakes in the past with computers , where I went out & bought the latest & greatest,spending over 3000$ , then come to find out its outdated & only worth a couple hundred bucks after a year..it's a little discouraging now.
I work on hot rods for a living and I know, cars are like computers, you can't make a huge upgrade without upgrading other components.....

since im still learning & toying around with 3d software , ill probably just install this card for now , to get me by , until I feel confident enough with the programs...by that time im sure some of those higher end cards will have leveled off and be a little cheaper..........Thanks for all the advice.

ps: soxroks , sorry brah , Oakland A's rule! I had to throw that in there...im a diehard. :whistling:

Edited by scarface1100, 20 April 2006 - 11:05 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well a 7300 will manage games on medium settings with ok but not fantastic fps, something like an x1900xtx can play ANYTHING with max settings and good fps. 7300 will run maya and 3ds but it wont let you see your games and maps in full glory if you use advanced affects, so its up to you and howmuch cash you have.

Edited by warriorscot, 21 April 2006 - 04:23 AM.