Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

something wrong with win32?

• Please log in to reply

kelly0713

kelly0713

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok so here's the little I know about my current computer problem:

1. Everytime I turn my computer on, two error messages pop up:
- svchost.exe Application error: the instruction at "0x74991015" referenced memory at "0x000000040". The memory could not be "read." Click on OK to terminate, CANCEL to debug.
- Generic Host Process for Win32 Services: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close...(error report)
2. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but last night when my computer was uploading the Windows Automatic updates, it froze so I had to shut my computer down incorrectly.

Other Notes:
- When I turn my computer on, after those two messages pop up, none of the programs will open and if they do, they freeze before I can access anything.
- Most of the time, the computer will just show my blank background with no icons, toolbar, etc.

Please help me!!!! :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi kelly0713...

What kind of computer do you have? Is it an HP?

wannabe1

kelly0713

kelly0713

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
no...it's a dell dimension 4700.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Sounds like something got corrupted when you shut down the computer incorrectly during the update. Try a system restore to a point in time before you did the update:

Restart the computer in Safe Mode (tap F8 as the computer is booting to access the menu where you select Safe Mode). If the computer successfully boots into safe mode, use system restore to restore before your problems started. To get to System Restore, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

If cannot get into Windows through Safe Mode, you will need an XP Installation CD. Insert it and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.

When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console. When prompted, type the Administrator password (if you have not set this, press "Enter"). At the system prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press "Enter".

This should start the System Restore feature. Restore to a date before the problem began.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
computerwiz12890's suggestion is a good one. Try it.

How about other HP applications? Printers, scanners, anything HP installed on the machine?

wannabe1

Po2002

Po2002

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Dear computerwiz12890 and wannabe1:

I have this EXACT same problem, but my laptop is an HP compaq nx9110. I have no idea why this suddenly started happening. I have run virus scans, spybot scans, and adaware scans (including running them in safe mode), but nothing comes up. A while back they had told me to disable system restore so that when those things were done in safe mode, the computer wouldn't just restore the previous settings. I'm not sure if that makes any sense.

Anyway, if you can give me any advice, I would really appreciate it. The tech guys at school aren't exactly sure what is going on with it. Thank you.

Best,
Po2002