Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error in one of my connection tabs

• Please log in to reply

unbodi

unbodi

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi.
Whan i go to Show all connctions - right click on my connection - Properties- advanced tab i get this error:
http://img518.images...rorconet0ec.jpg

And i dont know what to do because:

1. I dont know from whan its started...

2. I cant do the system restor part because i just finished fixing some other problem in Windows xp forum.
I dont think the problemd are connected but if i'll be asked, i'll give a link to the other thread.

Thanks in advance,
Unbodi

Advertisements

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi,

Have you tried disabling and re-enabling the device?
(Right-click->Disable then right-click->Enable)

What kind of network device is this?

Cheers:)

Edited by Dockboy, 20 April 2006 - 10:54 AM.

unbodi

unbodi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I dont see any option to disable or enable... :whistling:

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Sorry bout that,

In 'Network Connections' (Accessible through Control Panel), it will display a list of all your connections. Right-click on the device that is giving you that error, click Disable. Once the device is disabled, re-enable it by right-clicking the device, and clicking enable.

Could you post some info on what kind of device we are dealing with? That will make troubleshooting a bit easier.

unbodi

unbodi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Sorry bout that,

In 'Network Connections' (Accessible through Control Panel), it will display a list of all your connections. Right-click on the device that is giving you that error, click Disable. Once the device is disabled, re-enable it by right-clicking the device, and clicking enable.

Could you post some info on what kind of device we are dealing with? That will make troubleshooting a bit easier.

Hi.
here is a picture cuz i still cant find it:
http://img435.images.../connect4mb.jpg

its through a usb modem, the internet is 1.5mb.

Is that any good?

Edited by unbodi, 20 April 2006 - 11:52 AM.

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Ok,

I see what sort of device this is now. You usually can not disable and re-enable a dial in modem like a NIC. And I don't have much experience dealing with USB modems, but I do have one question.

You are getting this error on the 'Advanced' tab of your modem's properties. Is this affecting your connection at all? Is it affecting any system performace? Are you trying to get access to certain settings on this tab?

Now that I think about it, because this is a USB connected device, it may not even have anything listed for the 'Advanced' tab, and that is why Windows is giving you the error. But this is a theory. Hang around for a bit, someone else may know more about these types of modems. Like I had stated, I do not have alot of experience with these.

unbodi

unbodi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Yeah it dosent affect anything but still it havent happaned befor so i want to fix it...

I'll wait for someone els...

Thanks anyways :whistling:

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
No problem. Anytime.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
this is a longshot but it may fix the wmi as that's what's broken

Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

unbodi

unbodi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I got win xp pro but i have only win xp home cd in my house.

will it do the work?

And if it wont work, is there any other way?

Thanks!

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hi, just a quick question... Do you have VMWare or Hamachi installed?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to my knowledge no the xp home cd will not work for doing the SFC for xp..

unbodi

unbodi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi.

For SuperSam - No i dont even know what that is.

dsenette - Isnt there any other solution?I dont think that i'll be able to find any xp pro cd.

unbodi

unbodi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Help? :whistling:

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi unbodi,

Please download the Microsoft Support Tool: WMI Diagnosis Utility. Once downloaded, execute and extract the files. You will then have a folder with a number of files; execute the VBScript file WMIDiag --> Depending on your System configuration, this file may run 'silently' in the background. It may take up to 15 minutes to complete (usually alot less), and upon completion it will give you a popup informing you that it is finished. Once you recieve this prompt, press 'OK'. Now, hold down the Windows key located on your Keyboard, and then press E. This will open up Windows Explorer -- in the Address Bar, type: %TEMP% and press Enter. In this directory, you should see a number of files; locate a text file which starts with WMIDIAG-V --> There should be two files in your Temp Folder that start with this; however only one should be a text file. Once you've located this file, please upload it to this website (it will have alot of text in it, so please don't copy/paste it, as it'll take up too much space :whistling:).

Thanks,
Dan.