Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer freezes

• Please log in to reply

BS_1

BS_1

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
hi, everytime i turn on my computer it will run okay for about 5 minutes and then just freezem meaning i will have to manually restart by holding down the ON button for 10seconds. when i try to turn it back on it will beep 13 times and nothing appears on the screen. if i leave the computer off for about an hour and come back to it, i am then able to turn it back on without the beeps and again it will freeze after 5 minutes and sometimes instantly. i have recently gotten rid of viruses from my computer using help from this site but that hasnt helped. please help me.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up, look for and load BIOS defaults, press F10, press enter, type Y, press enter

As soon as it starts to reboot, keep tapping F8 until you get options, choose safe mode with networking

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
you mentioned that i need the windows XP CD which i dont have. is there something else i can do? i will wait for your answer before i follow any of your steps. Also are you sure that when i press delete it takes me to set-up. i thought i had done this once before where i pressed F8 to enter set-up.

edit: after reading posts from other people with similar problems to me i have figured that it may be a problem with the cooling of my computer. i downloaded SpeedFan and it tells me Fan1 is at 1688RPM and Fan2 is at 0RPM. i have never cleaned my computer or even opened it up.With no programs running and only 2 explorer windows open the results from SpeedFan are: Temp1 is fine at 34degrees celcius but Temp2 stays between 47-50degrees celcius. when i tried playing a small online flash game, the Temp2 rose to 50 degrees and stayed there. would this be because of Fan2 not working at all. If it is then can you give me steps on cleaning out my computer and fixing the fan. thanks.

Edited by BS_1, 20 April 2006 - 07:51 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Fan 2 is likely a case fan, and not necessarily installed, 50 isn't high

F8 usually gives the start up options, delete or F2 gives the BIOS set up

Run the check disk

It is looking like hardware

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
hey sorry i havent replied for ages but i have been away. i have gotten a computer company to come and fix my computer, becuase i knew that i would have to open up the computer after a while and i was not prepared to do that. all he did was vaccuum out some dust and now the computer is running smoothly. thanks for your help and patience anyway.

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
i am finished with this problem and it can be resolved thanks agaain geeks