Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

tried to install windows xp home ovr windows xp pr

• Please log in to reply

cherylinmon

cherylinmon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I bought a computer from the classifieds and when I got it up and running I discovered it had a counterfiet windows xp pro installed. This is my first computer purchase and I wasn't very smart about it. Anyway I bought a legitimate windows xp home cd but when I tried to install it the message was "unable to downgrade" I have been tring to fix this problem on my own but have not been very successful. I do not have a printer yet so I have to write everything down and then try the fixes. I have it working fairly good now but would really like to get rid of the bad xp pro and put my good xp home on. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I am not computer illiterate, just the next thing to it. Thank you so much! cherylinmon

Advertisements

Jarhead

Jarhead

• Pip
  • 4 posts
You will have to format your harddrive, and install WinXP Home from Scratch.

Formatting your Harddrive:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348

Clean Install:
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;316941

Perform a clean install of Windows XP
A clean installation refers to removing all data from your hard disk by repartitioning and reformatting your hard disk and reinstalling the operating system and programs to an empty (clean) hard disk. You should back up all important information before you perform a clean installation of Windows XP.

For additional information about important things to consider before you partition and format you hard disk and how to partition and format your hard disk by using the Windows XP Setup program, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
313348 How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP
After you have backed up all your important information, follow these steps to install Windows XP:1. Start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM. To do this, insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.
2. When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press any key to start the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
3. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to start Windows XP Setup.
4. Read the End-User License Agreement, and then press F8.
5. Follow the instructions on the screen to select and format a partition where you want to install Windows XP.
6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Windows XP Setup.

Make sure you have all the disc for your computer, after install you may have to install drivers for Sound, Monitor, Modem, Etc. By following these steps, it will remove the XP PRO and install XP Home. I suggest you do some reading on this before attempting the formatting and installation of XP. This is another excellent reading site with lots of info.
http://www.aumha.org/win5/index.htm

Hope this Helps You,
Mickey :tazz:

Jarhead

Jarhead

• Pip
  • 4 posts
In response to your email, NO this will not damage your harddrive, This is Needed to insure that you have a clean operating system installed on your computer, AND Unless you know the proper procedure to perform the actions, THAN you can do more Damage then Good. If you want Step By Step Instructions. Post your Request Here, and I will reply ASAP. As for the signature "Mickey" My Name is Mickey but my Nickname Is Jarhead ( 14 Yrs. with the United States Marine Corps).

Good Luck,
Jarhead :tazz:

Jarhead

Jarhead

• Pip
  • 4 posts
If you would like to continue this conversation, then you could email me again and give me your email address, so that I can help you, at alot quicker pace. Your email address would be safe with me, I am Married and I have 4 Children and 1 Grandbaby. But most of all, I am a Vet, and I do not want to see you being taken advantage of the situation that you have described to me in your last email to me. Send me an email and I can explain this alot better. If you do not feel comfortable doing that, then I understand, and just keep responding the way that you are.

Jarhead
Semper Fi