Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank Monitor on new build

• Please log in to reply

soad112589

soad112589

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I built a new system and on the first boot nothing was wrong. I was going to put in my windows xp cd when the tray in my cd drive was stuck. I tried to pull it out with my fingers but it wouldn't work. So I did the stupidest thing in the world. I hit my computer to get the tray unstuck, but right when i hit it it shut off. I took it out of the case and hooked it up on a nonconductive surface all of the fans worked but my monitor was blank and the hard drive wasnt spinning. My power supply worked in my dads computer so i think i have something wrong with my mobo.

Motherboard: ESC NFORCE3-A
CPU: AMD Sempron 2800 (1.6ghz)
Power Supply: A-top XBlade 450watt
Case: A-top Gladiator
RAM: Ultra 512mb (one stick)
Video Card: Geforce MX 4000

thanks for any help

Edited by soad112589, 20 April 2006 - 09:05 AM.

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
yeah it probobly wasnt a good idea to hit it...

fingers crossed all thats happened is you have shaken a chip loose. Go around everything (CPu, MOBO, Graphics etc) and make sure that they are firmly in and stiff, try to turn it on. If thats not it then id change things in this order

motherboard -> graphics -> ram -> cpu

Edited by comanighttrain, 20 April 2006 - 09:58 AM.

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi,

I've noticed a blank monitor on boot before, and the problem was RAM. Check to make sure it is firmly secured and placed correctly. Try booting without it too. It's possible that it may be causing the problem.

As for your optical drive, you can do one of two things. One is to send it back and try to get an RMA(Return Materials Authorization) on the device, it may still be under warranty. Or you could open it up and see if you can resolve the problem yourself. But I would recommend against the latter suggestion (opening it) unless you have experience dealing with sensitive electronics.

Cheers:)

soad112589

soad112589

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
would the hard drive not spin if the video card didnt work
and i checked to see if everything was secure and everything was

Edited by soad112589, 20 April 2006 - 01:54 PM.

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Yes, I'm pretty sure the HDD would still run regardless of the state of the video card. Hmm, well I'm stumped. I'd love to see the solution to this one though. Good luck mate.

soad112589

soad112589

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i think i might have a dead mobo. Right now i am trying to get a RMA so we will see