Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linking routers

• Please log in to reply

chocolatelazer

chocolatelazer

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Guys, we have just got a new isp and a new modem/router came with it. We have two pcs linked up and running the internet fine but there is a 3rd pc in another room we would like to get online also. Its too far away to connect via cables but we do have another router that supports wireless + a wireless dongle. What i was wondering was is there anyway to link that up to the modem/router so we can use the wireless function for the other pc? any help will be appreciated, i already tried out my theory but must have done something wrong (if indeed it is even possible to make work) The modem/router is a Aolynk dr814, the router/wireless is a linksys wrt54gs if that helps

Advertisements

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hey,

I looked up the Linksys router you have. It has wireless capabilities plus 4 ports for wired connections.

My suggestion would be to hook the Internet modem up to the router (In the uplink port), plug the two PCs into the ports on your router (Port 1 and 2, or whatever you like, it doesn't matter), install the wireless card on the 3rd computer and connect your third computer to the network through your new wireless connection.

That way you save yourself some trouble hooking 1 router into another router. Hope this helps.

Cheers:)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ecept that the current router IS also the modem correct? so you can't really replace that with the other router (unless it is in fact a modem as well)

you CAN (it's kinda messy) connect a router to a router...you just have to use a crossover cable...make sure that the wireless router is set up to recieve it's ip address through dhcp and that it is also giving out ip addresses on the wireless side in the same manner

chocolatelazer

chocolatelazer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
[quote name='dsenette' date='Apr 20 2006, 07:05 PM' post='644949']
ecept that the current router IS also the modem correct? so you can't really replace that with the other router (unless it is in fact a modem as well)

That is correct yes, so the only i'm gonna get it to work is to buy a crossover cable?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah...end devices MUST be connected via crossover cables...routers are deemed end devices because they are the end of a network (and the bridge to another)