Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM Problems

• Please log in to reply

Whiskey Ace

Whiskey Ace

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey all,

Having problems with RAM. Purchased a gig of RAM for my machine and I am having problems with it hanging the system. I have currently to sticks of pc2100 in slots 1 and 2 and everything works fine.

The new pc3200 will only work from slot 3 and when i try to add to any of the other slots I get the long warning beep. When I remove from either slot everything works fine.

Did an exhaustive search for any problems this particular mobo may have but I can find nothing. A friend has the exact same board and bought the same RAM and he has no problems.

Here's my setup:

ATHLON XP 2400
ASUS A7V 266E
40gb Maxtor
250gb Maxtor
Plextor 716 DVD
SB 5.1 Card
ATI Radeon 7200
Windows XP SP2
384 MB pc2100 RAM

I am aware that the pc3200 will clock lower as my board is only a 266mhz.

BIOS is up to date and everything works fine with the pc2100.

KINGSTON RAM specific to my machine, sorry not at home so I can't give you the specific model number. KVR 100 something CL3 400MHZ pc3200.

If that is required I'll post later. Thanks for any advice or help.

Confounded,

Jordan

Edited by Whiskey Ace, 20 April 2006 - 03:02 PM.

Advertisements

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Whiskey, first things first, are you trying to run the new ram with the old ram? If so, DONT! Remove the old stuff, and put your new sticks into the 1st slot and the 3rd slot, it should work fine. If not, the ram might be bad and you might wanna RMA it. Download memtest85 run it and see if it comes up with any errors.
Youre probably having compatibilty issues with the new and old stuff, theoretically they should work but Ive noticed that when you run 2 different speeds of ram it usually doesnt work well. Sometimes even the same speed ram of 1 brand (kingston,etc) will not work with other brands (toshiba, OCZ,etc).
Try that see if it works.
-P.

Whiskey Ace

Whiskey Ace

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks p-zero,

But no, that is not the problem. Old ram goes to another board I am working on. I have tried the slot 1 and 3 config and get the same error. Both sticks read fine in the third slot, but not in any other slot... wierdness.

I'll try the memtest. Will get back to you, thanks for the quick reply.

In all the documentation I haven't been able to find what would cause this.

Running the old ram for now.

Thanks,

Jordan

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
No problem man :whistling:
-P.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Woops I guess its actually memtest 86 heres a link http://www.memtest86.com/
-P.

Whiskey Ace

Whiskey Ace

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey thanks p-zero! Downloading after this. Just curious is it a DOS based or Windows program. Probably find out when I download it... Doh!

Whiskey Ace

Whiskey Ace

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks p-zero,

I need help? What is wrong with my RAM it works fine in slot3 but no other slots 1 and 2. anybody have a suggestion?

Jordan

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Does the old ram work in those slots? If not, then there might be something wrong with the motherboard. If it does work then you might need to check with the manufacturer of the motherboard to see what kind of ram it can accept.
-P.
PS:yw whiskey, :whistling:

Whiskey Ace

Whiskey Ace

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
P-zero, old ram works. This is a board that will only accept pc2100 in gigs. Stoopid me. Thanks for helping, 1 gig of pc3200 sailing on this comp/ Thank you p-zero, made me think...