Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp net connection problem

• Please log in to reply

bluefishyjoe

bluefishyjoe

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have a dell 4600, it was recently not working at all.
I fixed it, it was the power supply and everything that was on it before is still loaded on.
Before i originally had the power problem, it had been fixxed and had windows re loaded on it by geeksquad (i am starting to hate geeksquad, they have caused me more problems than they have fixxed, they have ripped me off) After i got the computer from geeksquad, the computer would not recognize an internet connection from an ethernet cord. At that time it was not a problem because my modem has a thing so you can use usb. Since my computer went down like four monthes ago, my parents bought a new replacement computer

Now that i have this computer up and running, this has become a problem.

does anyone know how to get my computer to recognize the ethernet?

(also: when i plug it in a light goes on)

Moved to Hardware to get attention from the experts there~~ Johanna

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

Have you installed the driver for the ethernet card? Check in Device Manager for any Yellow exclamation points next to the device.

I take it the light you are referring to is the ethernet card's lights? Usually, if two, one is power and other is the activity indicator.

More info on card:

Ethernet Tutorial

Ron