Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Master/slave issues with new SATA drive and old IDE drive

• Please log in to reply

airman_slacker

airman_slacker

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just recently upgraded from a regular IDE HDD to a SATA. After installing my OS and everything required, I tried hooking my old IDE HDD up as a slave to try to transfer my files and such onto my new HDD. The computer boots up the OS on the IDE and not the SATA and it won't even detect the SATA when it does boot up. What can I do to fix this? There are two different HDDs that I want to transfer data from.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You will have to go into the bios and set the boot order to boot from the sata drive first. Some bios do not call it sata but call it scsi when it is really the sata drive. A few systems must have RAID installed for the sata drives to work. Look on the internet for your motherboards website for how to do this.

SRX660