Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Setting up login password for MS Outlook

• Please log in to reply

APCSystems

APCSystems

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Is there a way that I can setup a login password for MS Outlook. I'm currently using 2K3 version, and it's my own PC, and generally I'm the only one who uses the PC, but I want some added security. I am the only profile/account in Outlook. Is there a way to set it up so that it prompts me for a password to login?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On the Go menu, click Folder List.

Do one of the following:

If you have a POP3 e-mail account, right-click the Personal Folders folder, and then click Properties For "Personal Folders" on the shortcut menu.

If you have an HTTP e-mail account (not supported in Outlook 2000), such as MSN® Hotmail®, right-click the Hotmail folder, and then click Properties For "Hotmail" on the shortcut menu.
On the General tab, click Advanced.
Click Change Password.
In the Change Password dialog box, type your new password and verify it by typing it a second time. The password can be up to 15 characters.

Note Use strong passwords that combine upper- and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols. Weak passwords don't mix these elements. Strong password: Y6dh!et5. Weak password: House27. Use a strong password that you can remember so that you don't have to write it down.

Make sure that the Save this password in your password list check box is cleared. This prevents the password from being cached, and you need to type the password each time you run Outlook. Don't forget the password.

Click OK three times.

When you click the e-mail account folder, you will be prompted for your password. After you gain access, you won't have to enter the password again for that session. If you exit and then restart Outlook, you will be prompted for the password when you click the e-mail account folder.

Important The .pst password feature is not intended to provide security against hackers. It is just a way to prevent inadvertent intrusion by other people whom you trust and share your computer with, such as at home with your family. A more secure way of protecting your data on a computer that you share with other people is to create a password-protected Windows user account for each individual using the computer.