Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

(some) USB not working

• Please log in to reply

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Tried printer - no change. Have tried changing sptd8557.old back top sptd8557.sys and now Daemon tools works again.

Would welcome any other avenues of inquiry.

Thanks for your continuing efforts to help :whistling:

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I'm wondering if Daemon tools might be playing a role in this issue?

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
07– digikiwi – [USB Problem]
23rd April 2006

It is Possible – Give me more info on this program/utility & when was it installed. The driver sptd8557

Daemon’s Link - http://www.daemon-to...nouncements.php

Below are some links that I found that need to be researched - I googled – USB problems with spdt.sys – This may be a real USB Issue [??] – See what you can come up with - & see if you can see a connection with your findings & your USB Issues – that you can relate to your particular case/problem -

I just recently discovered this connection between these – secdrv & sptd Drivers – and USB Problems, but have not had the opportunity to investigate – I kind of understand about the Game Drivers but not about the Daemon Tools –

The Game Manufacturers kind of modifies MS Drive security drivers to protect Games from being downloaded/pirated by disabling the drives – This was apparently introduced for CD Drives, but somehow began to include USB Drives. I have started a discussion with other – Geeks to Go Techs – about Technical & Ethical issues on the problems that are arising -

I will have the Malware Staff take a look at this – Thread – for their input – They have more experience with these matters than I do – So being a – Real Live Case – is what they need!!

So I will ask for their aid/assistance & continue monitoring this thread & with my search for ideas. I will stay in touch & let you know my findings.

Take a look at these -

EDIT -
FOR REF ONLY – Do not use these instructions – I just want you to know that others have same problem -

SPTD Drivers http://www.greatis.c...%...3##.sys.htm

http://www.daemon-to.../f-19-p-12.html

1. SPTD.SYS executes SPTD9885.SYS;
2. SPTD.SYS hides the contents of SPTD\CFG subkey;
3. SPTD.SYS protects the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SPTD from chaging by using registry permissions.
If you don't use Daemon Tools - remove SPTD drivers.
They are useless for you!
Removal Procedure:
1. Delete SPTD.SYS from the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder.
2. Reboot.
3. Delete SPTD9885.SYS or the driver with similar name from the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder.
4. You may use RegRun Registry Assistant to delete protected keys without problems.
Or use regedit.
Go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SPTD.
Right click and choose "Permissions" in the popup menu.
Change the rights for Adminitrator group to Full access.
Delete SPTD subkey.
Do the same for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_SPTD.

The bad thing about using this concept of modifying these drivers – They are messing with the Register Files – which can lead to more problems –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 23 April 2006 - 04:50 AM.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
edit

Edited by digikiwi, 23 April 2006 - 05:40 PM.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
How does one find when it was installed? Rightclick>Properties> on
Daemontools.exe gives date created as 11 Nov 2005 adn 5 December 2005 for the spdt drivers respectively. i suspect these dates are the actual software creation dates, not the date of installation.

I've had a look at the daemon forums but all the problems with spdt driver seem to relate to bootup/freeze problems not usb issues.

I'll keep looking though.

I also noticed something in Device manager, re PnP BIOS Extension:

PnP_BIOS_Extension_Snaphot.jpg

But I read somewhere (sorry for not keeping notes) that this is related to Alcohol or Daemon only and not an essential system device.

Also in further loving inquisition of my wife she recalls hearing an electric crackling upon plugging in the samsung external hard drive at one point ,which may or may not be significant.

Thanks for your continuing interest and efforts.

Edited by digikiwi, 23 April 2006 - 05:41 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
08– digikiwi – [USB Problem]
23rd April 2006

she recalls hearing an electric crackling upon plugging in the samsung external hard drive at one point ,which may or may not be significant.

Sounds significant – but is not supported by previous observation – But I will keep it in mind – I keep reading all your Posts – over & over – I try to read between the lines & try to discover what you are not saying or what you mean – Plus am reviewing all USB Issues in the past -

Just talking to my wife about the USB problem. She has been using the aforementioned Samsung external hard drive on the front side usb ports and then they stopped working. So she used the back ones and these also stopped functioning. This would suggest that there is a direction for inquiry here. However the exteral drive (it has its own power supply) still works OK on the laptop usb port (but does freeze up the computer every so often while watching videos on real player alternative).

I have found some links about Daemon Tools & USB Issues. It does appear that with later BIOS Updates, Daemon Tools have some incompatibilities with WIN XP & USB Devices. And the sptd drivers are a problem. The only effective repair was
1- Uninstall Daemon Tools
2- Uninstall all instances of sptd.sys drivers including sptd#### Drivers

I only had you remove the sptd8557.sys driver, but you need to remove the main sptd.sys driver as well. Then when you do remove these drivers, Daemon Tools will not load. Malware Techs may discover a way to just remove the drivers or repair Daemon Tools, if you require to use this program.

I do not know enough about the Windows Registry to tweak. But I guess, It is time to learn. Take a look at these two links –
1- Daemon Tools USB Problem
http://www2.daemon-t...ead.php?p=55047

2- Daemon Tools USB CD Problem
http://www.daemon-to....php/t-625.html

Thanks for your continuing interest and efforts.

Hey it’s killing me that I cannot fix the problem & I am
overworking my mouse

Jack123
Mouse.jpg

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
08– digikiwi – [USB Problem]
23rd April 2006

Removed duplicate Post -

Edited by Jack123, 24 April 2006 - 08:20 PM.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi Jack123,

thanks for the sense of humour, might save a few bunches of hair from getting pulled out of my head in frustration. Maybe they should grow hair on computers so we can pull that out when things get rough.

I have uninstalled DT. Also I have renamed sptd.sys and sptd8577.sys as .old respectively and moved from C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers into a temp folder on desktop. Does this mean I have "uninstalled" these drivers or does it require further intervention?

Result no change except my hard drive makes a short "blurrrrt" noise when shutting down now (do you remember the apple 2 i/o error sound way back when adam was a cowboy? - a single very short blurt genreated from the drive itself, not the inbuilt speaker.)

I have found that

2 frontside usb ports give no response when plugged into

op 2 rearside usb ports ditto

bottom 2 ports show usb device not recognised when I plugged printer into these (this is probably not new, I just failed to realize it b4).
usb_not_recog.jpg

However this time the computer really was struggling as device manager cursor position kept jumping to top for a microsecond and flicking back as shown below
devmgr1.jpg

it wasn't easy to catch the second screen - bit like catching a fly with chopsticks...
drvmgr2.jpg

So now you have more pieces of the puzzle, but not necessarily the adjacent ones.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Having pulled out from non-functional usb port the flickering thing has stopped. I'm trying to figure for the life of me why 4 USB ports are non responsive and 2 give 'not recognised". Are these the hubs that serve 2 ports at a time repectively meaning 2 hubs are not responding and 1 is?

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
09– digikiwi – [USB Problem]
25th April 2006

Are these the hubs that serve 2 ports at a time repectively meaning 2 hubs are not responding and 1 is?

There are three types of USB Host Controllers
1- Open Host Controller Interface – OHCI –
OHCI is a USB 1.1X Interface that manages the USB Functions mainly by Hardware and will usually manage/control – 2 Root HUBS per Controller

2- Universal Host Controller Interface – UHCI –
UHCI is a USB 1.1X Interface that manages the USB Functions mainly by Software and will usually manage/control – 2 Root HUBS per Controller

3- Enhanced Host Controller Interface – EHCI –
EHCI is the USB 2.0 Interface

[Edited – 4-26-2006]

The USB Host Controllers are then subdivided into – Root Hubs – which usually have 2 USB Ports assigned and have control of these 2 Ports plus all the cascaded ports -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 26 April 2006 - 08:50 AM.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
10– digikiwi – [USB Problem]
25th April 2006

I have uninstalled DT. Also I have renamed sptd.sys and sptd8577.sys as .old respectively and moved from C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers into a temp folder on desktop. Does this mean I have "uninstalled" these drivers or does it require further intervention?

That should have worked – changing the file type gives you a quick recover option – but it did effectively remove these divers. This means that there is another player involved.

I do not know much about Daemons Tools. but the more research that I do – I see – Trouble – Daemon Tools is apparently able to emulate most – Copy Protections – so as to get around them.

Now Some software designers/publishers, particularly game publishers, will go to great lengths to try to disable or defeat Daemon Tools – To the extent of using Malware – such as Rootkits which are cloaking technologies that hide files & Registry Keys from security software to protect from unlawful copying – but in this application, Rootkits are used to prevent the legitimate devices from participating in the Enumeration Process of Device Manager. It is like a Birth Control method for piracy [??]

So now it appears that Daemon Tools has flaw/bug in its program, so the obvious step is to uninstall Daemon Tools. But it is too late for that to fix the problem. Now we are left trying to fix a symptom of a problem that we can only see the result. Removing Daemon Tools, only eliminated the carrier and have gotten us off the trail.

This is beyond my capacity & knowledge of PC problem solving. However I believe I know the right person to pass this knowledge on. This will also give me an opportunity to inject a new concept of problem solving for this Forum.

The good news for you is that – this will delay your last option, which we were fast approaching – The Stepping back & Punting, and performing the dreaded – Reformatting –

I already have a vehicle that I can resurrect to present these findings to the Malware guru on Rootskit This may take several days – I know I take a few days to answer some of your questions, but I have to try my ideas out 1st and I try to emulate your problems – and then come up with a detailed process to follow.

I appreciate you bearing with me so far – It is not just you that I am helping – Take a look at the number of people that are following this thread – That is my motivation –

Jack123

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I am happy to bear with you Jack, especially given the alternative of reformatting. Reading some of the threads about USB problems suggests that not even this is a certain fix.

The point about malware altering rootkits brings up some interesting legal and ethical questions, but I suppose it is a minefield of having to prove the damage was caused by "x".

I still am curious as to why the problem would manifest so selectively. 4 ports totally unresponsive, 2 ports offering "device not recognised" and the 3 pci slot USB prots working fine.

I guess if there were any other elimination tests to be done you would have informed me.

Meanwhile I'll hang in there and see what your "connections" come up with.

Thanks for being a persistent crusader, a tip of my hat to you sir

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
11– digikiwi – [USB Problem]
25th April 2006

I still am curious as to why the problem would manifest so selectively. 4 ports totally unresponsive, 2 ports offering "device not recognised" and the 3 pci slot USB prots working fine.

We have altered the conditions/causes somewhat & have a different Test Standard since misplacing the Flash Drive since the initial Posting -

My front and backside (no pun) USB ports are no longer responding. They don't even seem to be delivering power as my USB stick doesn't light up when inserted. However the VIA USB2.0 PCI card is working just fine.

There is no selectivity in this statement – regarding to the Test Standard

Just talking to my wife about the USB problem. She has been using the aforementioned Samsung external hard drive on the front side usb ports and then they stopped working. So she used the back ones and these also stopped functioning. This would suggest that there is a direction for inquiry here. However the exteral drive (it has its own power supply) still works OK on the laptop usb port (but does freeze up the computer every so often while watching videos on real player alternative).

This brings up the question/s –
1- What files or applications were running
2- Was there a Power Failure
3- Are your Antivirus files up to date

The start of the problem, I'm sorry to say happened while I was away. The only cause I can point to is the external hard drive my wife borowed from a friend. It worked at the frontend ports, then didn't. So she plugged into the back end (mobo ones) and now all 4 of these have fritzed as well.

This brings up additional question/s
4-Was this Hard-drive ever connected to PCI USB Ports [??]
5- Has this drive ever been – Virus Scanned
6-Does this Drive contain – Daemon Tools [??]
7- What is the relationship of this Drive with Daemon Tools
8- This same drive was used on the Laptop without ill effects to Laptop [??]
9- Does Laptop have Daemon Tools installed

Front USB still nothing

Rearside when I plugged in printer came up with device not recognised. (managed to lose my flash drive last night, [bleep] it all)

This is where the Test Standard was altered & the conditions regarding Daemon Tools were altered – as concluded by next statement

Which now brings full circle -

I guess if there were any other elimination tests to be done you would have informed me.

By changing the Test Standard – The conditions have been changed/altered – So the elimination process has been compromised – Which triggered this – Review – Which I methodically do prior to each & every Post, but usually not broadcasted –

So it is time to analyze this item of interest – Daemon Tools –

1- What PC has Daemon Tools installed
2- When was Daemon Tools installed
3- Why & when is Daemon Tools used
4- How is Daemon Tools related – Time-wise with USB issue
5- When Hard-drive failure occurred – Fill in the details – what – how –when – was the last activity prior to problem [??]
6- Has anyone done a Virus Scan on PC & Hard-drive in question

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 26 April 2006 - 11:17 AM.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

This brings up the question/s –
1- What files or applications were running
2- Was there a Power Failure
3- Are your Antivirus files up to date

1 She was watching video files in real player format using media player classic. However she was unaware of a specific point in time when USB stopped functioning while plugged in. On one of her frequent plug ins of this device USB was no longer working. Then going to backside this initially worked and then no longer as far as I can get her to reconstruct the sequence of events.

2 Not to the best of my knowledge.

3 Yes, I run NAV 2005 with autoupdate and weekly sweeps. I'm also running Spysweeper, also regular updates and weekly sweeps. All coming up clean.

4-Was this Hard-drive ever connected to PCI USB Ports [??]
5- Has this drive ever been – Virus Scanned
6-Does this Drive contain – Daemon Tools [??]
7- What is the relationship of this Drive with Daemon Tools
8- This same drive was used on the Laptop without ill effects to Laptop [??]
9- Does Laptop have Daemon Tools installed

4 No, and it would be with some trepidation that I would do so, not wanting to risk losing all my usb capabilities.

5 Scan with NAV (freshly updated) and ditto Spysweeper show drive to be clean.

6 No it does not contain Daemon Tools.

7 there are no disk images on this drive, it has been used for .avi, .rmvb and .wmv files.

8 Yes on laptop there is no problem except it occasionally freezes up during palying of .rmvb files. BTW Laptop only has USB 1.1

9 Laptop also has same version of DT installed but it doesn't appear to be starting up with Windows startup (as it does not appear in task pane bottom right). I am hesitant to run DT in case it blows out USB on laptop, but willing to proceed with recommended test procedures.

Last Questions

1- What PC has Daemon Tools installed
2- When was Daemon Tools installed
3- Why & when is Daemon Tools used
4- How is Daemon Tools related – Time-wise with USB issue
5- When Hard-drive failure occurred – Fill in the details – what – how –when – was the last activity prior to problem [??]
6- Has anyone done a Virus Scan on PC & Hard-drive in question

1 Both PC and laptop (is that what your question is asking?).

2 I'm not sure how to find this out but off memory it was late last year, certainly not recently

3 Used for disk images of certain applications and or DVD where original is damaged or no longer available.
I play very few games and didn't install or try new ones in the period of this issue or just before it.

4 It appears not to be related to me. I can see no direct link. DT was functioning perfectly.

5 correction - hard drive didn't fail - USB connectivity was lost. As stated previously, we are unable to pinpoint exact time of failure and concurrent activity. All I can tell you is it has been used by my wife for watching .rmvb, .avi and .wmv files. No applications and she doesn't even have a concept of disk imaging so she didn't use DT (I checked, there are no .iso, .bin or .cue files on that disk).

6 yes - all clean

Have I failed to answer any of your questions adequately? - please advise.

I am not wanting to doubt your knowledge or skills, but want to raise the question of whether DT is necessarily the cause. It "feels" like we could be looking under the streetlamp for the keys that we dropped by the car 100 metres away in the dark because we can see under the lamp. but then again maybe it's still dark where I am and you have a clearer view of that carpark, metaphorically speaking. I realise though by your questions that you are trying to eliminate other possibilities as much as possible without having access to my PC yourself.

Standing by awaiting the next step

Digikiwi

Edited by digikiwi, 26 April 2006 - 04:58 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
12– digikiwi – [USB Problem]
28th April 2006

Have I failed to answer any of your questions adequately? - please advise

No failure – You have answered all of my questions & with – consistency – on the redundant questions -

I am not wanting to doubt your knowledge or skills, but want to raise the question of whether DT is necessarily the cause. It "feels" like we could be looking under the streetlamp for the keys that we dropped by the car 100 metres away in the dark because we can see under the lamp. but then again maybe it's still dark where I am and you have a clearer view of that carpark, metaphorically speaking. I realise though by your questions that you are trying to eliminate other possibilities as much as possible without having access to my PC yourself.

Being from the – Coal Mines – I carry my own – Torch/Flashlight – And having a Dutch Heritage – sheds a different light on things –

Daemon Tools may be the –Red Herring – but it is still data that I am capturing. DATA is my Skills & Knowledge – And I doubt/question myself all the time [??]

You are correct – maybe I am spending too much time on DT – Time to move on – lets take a look at PnP –

[1] – Lets run System Configuration Utility – [msconfig] – and see if Plug & Play is Set/Enabled

1- Click – Start Button –
2- Click – RUN –
3- Type – msconfig – in – Open Box
4- Click – OK Button – Wait a few seconds
5- System Configuration Utility will appear
6- Click on – Services Tab –
7- Verify that – Hide all Microsoft Services – is – Unchecked–
8- Verify that – Plug and Play – is Checked
9- Verify that – Removable Storage – is Checked
10- Click – OK - Box
11- Click – Restart PC
12- Windows will restart
13- System Configuration Utility Page will place a message Box on screen
14- Check – Do not show this message or Launch Confiuration Utility when Window Starts –
________________________________________________________________________________

[2] – Now lets enhance Device Manager to view USB History – I am lending you my Flashlight

Preparation Process for [DEVICE MANAGER] to View [Non Present Devices] – [1 time process]

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER] > Click [PROPERTIES] on Drop Down Menu –
(2) – Click [ADVANCED] Tab – (on System Properties)
(3) – Click [ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES] Tab -
(4) – Under [SYSTEM VARIABLES] Section – Click [NEW] Tab –
(5) – In [NAME] Section – Type – devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
(6) – In [VALUE] Section – Type the number 1
(7) – Close out by Clicking [OK] Tabs – 3 Times – (3 levels/panels to close)
(8) – Click on [START] Button > Then click on [RUN] –
(9) – Type – devmgmt.msc– and then Click [OK] – This will open [DEVICE MANAGER]
(10)– Click [VIEW] on Menu > Click [Show Hidden Devices] on Pop Down Menu –
(11) – View [Hidden Devices] – Indicated by Faded Gray Print – (Close when completed) –
(12) – Restart Computer – (To ensure a good [Initial] beginning -

Standard Process to Open [DEVICE MANAGER] with [Show Non-present Devices] Option set -

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER]
(2) – Browse down [Menu] to [Properties] > Double Click to Open Properties Page
(3) – Click on [HARDWARE] Tab
(4) – Click on [Device Manager] Tab
(5) – Click on [View} on Menu Bar
(6) – **Click on [Show Hidden Files]**
(7) – Expand Folders as required
(8) – You need to double left click or right click each line to reveal additional info
(9) – [Non Present Devices] will be denoted by –(Light/faded grayish print)

** Step 6 will have to be set to [Show Hidden Files] on each opening of [Device Manager] **

Expand all Folders by Clicking on [+] blocks & Double clicking the folders

Now can you Post several – Snapshots – of what Device Manager is now showing – on USB Devices – Mass Storage – Disk Drives -
You can Double Click – Root HUBS] to open Property Pages - & click on [Power] Tab for more info –
See if your – USB Drive shows up as a – Non Present Device – and your Flash Drive –

Turn your Printer Off & On & see how Device Manager & Non Present Devices function – This should refresh Device Manager by a flashing effect on Device Manager every time you connect and/or disconnect a device –

Now try connecting a USB device to your – Non Functioning USB Ports – and see if this does a – Refresh – Action. This will be an indication of whether the USB Device was detected or not

Look at all the [Driver] Tabs for the USB Drives and view the details – See what you can learn

Jack123