Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question

• Please log in to reply

NotSoStr8Me

NotSoStr8Me

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Im not sure about where I should post this topic, but for the past couple of days I have noticed that in the bottom tray MSN messenger has been popping up when I start my computer. However, I do not have msn messenger. I did read in the Malaware section that there was a virus or spyware that has been disguising itself as MSN 8 Beta. I dont really know where to go from here but I also had a popup today and it was the first I had had since this msn had been appearing. When I run AVG anti virus scan it finds nothing and Zone Alarm hasnt detected anything either so Im kind of stumped as where to go from here.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi NoSoStr8Me!

Double-click on the MSN Messenger icon down by the clock. This will open the program. Once it's open, click on TOOLS-->OPTIONS. In the window that appears you should see the option for allowing the program to start when windows starts and to allow it to run in the background. Uncheck both of these boxes. Then close the options window (hitting APPLY and OK if they are options available) Then close the program completely. Once the program exits, then icon by the clock should now disappear.

As for your statement about popups, what is the heading in the popup window? What type of popup is it? Advertising for installing a program, visiting a site??? Please let me know so I can better decide where to go from there.

Fenor

NotSoStr8Me

NotSoStr8Me

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey, thank you very much for helping me with the MSN problem. It just worried me a little bit because I wasnt sure what was going on. About the popup I really cant remember what it said for the heading but I noticed it hasnt popped up again since the one time today. I know I have seen it before but I cant remember for the life of me what it said. But if I have any more problems I will def. be contacting you back. Thanks for all your help and glad that it wasnt anything major so far.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Just sounds to me like msn was activated on your computer and the window was set to open on bootup... It's nothing to worry about, that popup you're talking about was probably simply the MSN window.