Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem boot up XP

• Please log in to reply

a1strank

a1strank

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
When I got home today I saw my computer is "near-freezing" (Mouse can move but clicking anything won't work) after couple minutes later of random-clicking my comp rebooting. I thought it was just a regular computer crash..but after it rebooted it won't boot up anymore. After "detecting IDE deveices" the monitor goes black. Bascailly the comp won't make it to the boot screen and it crashes when it is about going to the windows boot screen. Ok so I thought this would be fixed by booting into safe mode and mess around with it..but I was wrong..I couldn't boot into safe mode (the screen freezes up after I HIT ENTER to boot to safe mode). Basically it won't boot to anything..I tried last known config..etc..everything. The furthest my comp can make is to the screen where you can select safe mode etc..

After this I tried booting with Windows XP CD..it will not work..I can hit F6 to the "Windows Automated System Recovery" but I DO NOT have the disc. The computer crashes and gives me BSOD if I let it continue to load System Files. I tried booting with Norton Ghost I get the same BSOD. The code is 0x0000007b.

I tried resetting BIOS and it doesn't work. I also tried flashing bios but it won't let me flash for some reason..I get some error code like "chipset/flash part isn't avaliable" and I did followed the instructions. (I usually flash it in Windows, but now I can't even get to windows).

I also tried booting some HDD recovery utlities but it would not boot for some reason..the screen just goes black. Need help!!! PLEASE :whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres the 7B error

0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus.

http://www.microsoft.../c29621675.mspx

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 20 April 2006 - 08:21 PM.

a1strank

a1strank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

Microsoft thinks it has to do witha creative labs joystick.

http://support.micro...=321637&sd=RMVP

or this

http://support.micro...=330182&sd=RMVP

You can try using the recovery console, but you will have to find a XP cd to get the recovery console from it.

http://support.micro....com/kb/314058/

I get paid to do this for people so i usually try the recovery console. I have had to use a low level formatting once to get to where i could install XP.

SRX660

Starting the Windows Recovery Console
To start the Windows Recovery Console, use one of the following methods:
• Use the Windows Setup floppy disks or the Windows CD-ROM to start your computer. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press F10 or press 'R" to repair.

But I coudln't even get to "Welcome Screen"..I get BSOD before the Welcome screen

a1strank

a1strank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I just tried booting up with the XP CD WITHOUT any HDD I still get the same BSOD

BBAATT

BBAATT

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Vaio PCG-R505TSK and did a fresh install of everything (XP, Office 2003, etc) about 2 weeks ago. Everything worked great for 3 or 4 days. Powered up the next morning and boot process hangs up on SONY logo with C-Drive LED and fan going. Start Sequence is XP Pro logo on black screen, then a bright blue DOS-looking popup for about half a second and then computer hangs up on the SONY logo. Tried starting in Safe Mode, tried starting from XP cd, without success. Tried removing battery and then all of the above, still no success. Need help from someone who knows XP better than me.

a1strank

a1strank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I just did some testing with my cousin's comp.

1. Hooked up my HD to his comp and BOOT MY DRIVE, won't boot up.
2. Hooked up my HD to his comp and BOOT HIS DRIVE, won't boot (If i take out my drive from his comp it boots up fine)
3. Hooked up HIS drive to MY COMP, BOOTS UP FINE
4. Booting the XP CD with HIS COMP while having my drive hooked up to his comp, boots up fine and doing CHKDSK now with the recovery console (Takes LONG TIME)
5. BOtting the XP CD with MY COMP and with HIS DRIVE hooked up to MY comp (without my HDD) BSOD (Obviously there is something wrong with my comp, I am thinking about motherboard, because i get BSOD with HIS drive)

Any conclusion here? I am thinking both my HDD and motherboard screwed up at same time..but that is just really rare..I don't know..I'm going to work in like 10 minutes gotta do some more testing tonight.

LexTalionis

LexTalionis

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I didn't knwo whether or not this was worthy of a seperate thread as it is a similar problem.

After recently restoring my computer I cannot get Windows to boot at all. Or rather I can't get the OS to boot from the Hard Disk. It would yesterday but it won't now. I am using a Windows 2000 boot disk to load XP.
(I actually thought Windows hadn't recovered and was going to use ther boot disk to install XP PRO from CD.. when I booted from the 2000 disk it went straight to the XP home loading screen. Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on there??

A.

a1strank

a1strank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
During the Chkdsk the comp freezed at 2%, and during the HDD scan with HHD recovery program it freezes at around 2%..I am thinking that my HD went bad and also some other parts in my comp went bad at same time I guess? Because I couldn't boot up windows XP WITHOUT a HD..lets see..my mobo?

a1strank

a1strank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I don't know what should I do here..I've tried everything..this is my conclusion for the problem:

The motherboard's controller went bad and it damaged my HD at same time..so I guess my motherboard needs a replacement and my HD also need a replacement. I just done flashing the mobo bios to newest version..still does not help...

The major problems:

#1. CD/DVDs will not boot with my motherboard, even tried Knoopix and many other bootable CDs. - XP would get to the "Welcome Screen" and goes BSOD with error code posted above.

#2. HD went bad and it looks like it is unrecoverable..I am going to try putting the drive on the freezer see if it helps. My HD also causes other drives won't boot if it is hooked up to other PCs, so right now I do not know how to backup my files.

Any help/suggestions from Staffs would be apperciated, thanks.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi a1strank...

What kind of machine is this? Make and model number...

wannabe1

Advertisements

a1strank

a1strank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hi a1strank...

What kind of machine is this? Make and model number...

wannabe1

Custom build:

Pentium D 805
2x DDR2 PC 5400 1GB
Maxtor 300GB hd ~ SATA with /NCQ w/e
X800GTO2 256 MB ~
Forton Storm 500W PSU

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...this is going to sound goofy, but switch the RAM modules around...put stick one where stick two is now and vise versa. Then try to boot the machine. Let me know if you see any difference at all.

a1strank

a1strank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Ok...this is going to sound goofy, but switch the RAM modules around...put stick one where stick two is now and vise versa. Then try to boot the machine. Let me know if you see any difference at all.

Did this three days ago, no help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have a floppy drive in that rig?

a1strank

a1strank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts