Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Lost my preferred network

• Please log in to reply

yeeew

yeeew

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I was having problems with my internet getting a message saying unable to connect to wireless network or something like that. I tried a few ideas i found on these forums and ended up pressing the small button on my router, the reset reset button I belive. Then I turned my computer back on and went to veiw wireless networks and the only ones there were NETGEAR unsecured which had never been there before and my neighbours network which i occasionally detect. I tried to connect to the NETGEAR connection and it worked but it says it is unsecure so i disconnected. Where has my network connection gone? It was being detected with 5 bars signal strength before i reset the router or watever that button does but now its gone. Please help me.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi yeeew!

The unsecured NETGEAR connection you are referring to is your router. The reason it is unsecure is that you used the reset button on the router and as such removed any WEP encryption that was in place. All you need to do is connect to your router. HARDWIRED and NOT Wirelessly and change the wireless encryption back to what you remember it being before you hit the reset button. Once you have changed the wireless encryption, you can then remove the hardwired cable between your computer and the router and connect to it wirelessly again.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 21 April 2006 - 06:02 AM.

yeeew

yeeew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok cool how do i find my encryption code i can't remember it

Thanks.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You don't have one, that is why it shows up as unsecured in your list of available networks. You need to actually log into the router itself (using a WIRED connection and NOT A WIRELESS CONNECTION) and reset the encryption to whatever you had it set to before you did the hard reset of the router.

Fenor

yeeew

yeeew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
But i dont know what i had the encryption set to before i reset it.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
When you RESET the router it lost all of the settings INCLUDING the encryption. Get a network cable running from your machine to the router and reconfigure your settings.

THE ENCRYPTION DOES NOT HAVE TO BE THE SAME.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yes it doesn't need to be the same. I only said to configure it to what you had the encrption set to before because it is always easier to remember an encryption key that you have used before, but since you don't remember it, any encryption key will work. Just make sure that you write it down somewhere and/or memorize it so that you will be able to know what it is at a later date if for some reason you need it.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 23 April 2006 - 07:18 AM.

yeeew

yeeew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
cheers fellas ive connected them up by eternet adapter, is this correct? once ive done this how do get into the WEP settings?

yeeew

yeeew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok i figured it out and i gave the NETGEAR connection a WEP code and stored it. Then when i goto show available networks NETGEARS comes up but it still says it is insecure and when i check the settings the encryption has gone back to "none"

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Are you sure you clicked APPLY SETTINGS or SAVE SETTINGS when you changed the encryption? (Remember, only change router settings when the computer accessing the routers setup page is HARDWIRED to the router and not wirelessly)

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 23 April 2006 - 09:30 PM.

yeeew

yeeew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes, but maybe i have done it in the wrong place
I went , view available wireless networks
change advanced settings
then clicked wireless networks tab
clicked on netgear and selected properties
and enetered the info there is that correct?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yes you have done it in the wrong place. You have to go into your browser (IE or your browser of choice) and enter the default gateway that you are shown when you type ipconfig at a command prompt (START-->RUN and type cmd to get to a command prompt). This will allow you to log into your router and change settings on the router itself. You will need to know the login and password to access the router. Look through the manual you have for your router and it should tell you the default username and password to access the router's setup page. (Change the password in setup once you are there to something you will remember) Once in there look for a setting to enable wireless on the router. If you need help finding it, then please post back with the model number for your router.

Fenor

yeeew

yeeew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
cool almost there now ive created a new connection and stuff but when i connect it says limited ort no connectivity. I goto repair and it says
"the following action could not be completed, Renewing your IP address"
what do i need to do now?

Cheers mate :whistling:

yeeew

yeeew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
anyone...............?