Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing D:\ drive?

• Please log in to reply

somewhatclueless

somewhatclueless

• Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz:

hello friendly geeks...

i belive my system specks are down below...

while at work one day my boss noticed that i didn't have service pack 2 on my laptop. he said he had a copy of windows xp with service pack 2 already on it and offered to let me use it to update my system. at first i declined, but he wouldn't let it go so i agreed to let him do it. i can't remember all that followed but i do remember seeng the mother-in-law of screens (aka blue screen of death) that no one wants to see. worst of all it was right after the dell systems screen and b4 the windows load screen. i got pissed at him and went home to get drunk, because without my laptop i have no life. or more accuratley no half-life 2!!! anyway i came back to work the next day,hung over, and he had removed the m-i-law. but then it won't open windows media player( i just had to re-install wmp and wmp works now) and my d:\ drive is missing. i checked my device manager and i see no problems. i have two vitual drives and they are still here but my cd-rom (d:\ drive) does not show up in my computer and does not play cd's, movies or data disks. i eagerly await any help you might be able to throw my way. thank you and happy gaming.

Advertisements

somewhatclueless

somewhatclueless

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
guess not...

i am running windows xp pro
dell latitude D800
1.6 GHz, 512 Mb, 40 Gb hard drive
geforce 4200 go

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Try going into device manager and removing the D drive, then reboot this should reload the drivers

Rick

somewhatclueless

somewhatclueless

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks for trying but it didn't work. did you want me to go to the device properties and uninstall the drivers, cause thats what i did. there were two dvd/cd-rom drives so i uninstalled them both. but much to my shagrin they were both there upon rebooting and still no d:\ drive. i have two vitual drives which might be causing the problem. i will try to disable them from their respective programs.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
No what I was refering to was device manager, right click My Computer and select properties then click the hardeware tab then the on the device manager button if the drive is there right click it and select remove then reboot.

Rick

somewhatclueless

somewhatclueless

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yeah, thats totally what i did. i removed the two drives that were there and it turns out those are actually my two virtual drives. upon rebooting they were back like i never removed them.

:Linux:

:Linux:

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hi,

Try going into device manager and removing the D drive, then reboot this should reload the drivers

Rick

View Post

this makes no sense.. the missing drive should be recognized (after uninstalling the drivers) by XP on startup by the XP wizard. :o

Matt

Black Mage

Black Mage

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
My suggestion personally is just save your files on Half Life 2 on some sort of pen-drive and reinstall your computer.

somewhatclueless

somewhatclueless

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
matt,

i know it should work that way... that's why i'm so confused. this whole thing really makes no sense to me. i talked to a "proffesional" I.T. guy and he said that he has seen this same problem with machines that had roxio software on them. but i'm sure that i don't have any roxio software on my pute.

black mage,

as far as "giving up" on this problem and taking the easy way out...no thanx! how are we suppose to learn anything if we simply re-install everytime windows F***s us over. i think we can come together as a community, put our over-sized brains together and tackle this problem head on. but i definitely appreciate your input, please continue to speak your mind.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Is the drive recognized in bios? It most likely is and this is a windows issue but just to check

Rick

somewhatclueless

somewhatclueless

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
doby,

good idea.... i checked just to make sure and sure enough it was recognized in bios. i even got it to boot from the cd-rom so we now know it is not a hardware problem.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
After looking around this is all I could come up with and I do think it has something to do with the registry.

read this

somewhatclueless

somewhatclueless

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yeah, i found that also.....it didn't work. but i did notice that there were no lower filters to remove. could this be the problem? does the cd-rom require both upper and lower filters? it sounds like our only lead so far. i'm going to try and learn more about these filters.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I don't know much about those filters either, if I find anything out I'll be back