Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Effiecent Networks 5930 Gateway router

• Please log in to reply

hitman02

hitman02

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi I received an Effiecent Networks 5930 Gateway Router from a friend, I have everything connected and enabled what should be enabled but I cannot connect to the internet. It is detecting a DSL connection and a LAN connection but it is not getting an IP address from my ISP system? NAT is enabled. Not sure as to what is wrong. If someone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Hitman :whistling:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi hitman02!

What you need to do is what is referred to as 'Power Cycling' your DSL modem. To do this do the following:
  • Turn off all computers connected to the router
  • Unplug the power cord from the back of the DSL modem and the Router
  • Wait at least 5 minutes
  • Plug in the power cord into the DSL modem and wait at least one minute for it to initialize
  • Plug in the power cord into the Router and again wait at least one minute for it to initialize.
  • Power on one computer and try to connect to the Internet with it.
  • If the one computer can connect to the Internet, then you can start turning on the other computers one-by-one and checking their Internet connection.
Fenor

hitman02

hitman02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks Fenor for the reply. I think I did that before and id didn't help but I will try it again and let you know as to what happened.

Again Thank you

Hitman

hitman02

hitman02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi, I did what you suggested, but that did not help. I have the WAN connection LED lit indicating that it is detecting a WAN connection, within the router management it detects the WAN connection speeds both up and down but it does not acquire an IP address. I get a network error when trying to connect that states "The remote computer did not respond". I have attached a screenshot of what the router management screen looks like. Hopefully you can open it and see.

Thanks Hitman

Attached Files

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Are you able to access the Internet when your computer is hardwired to the router? If so, then what you need to do is enable wireless communication for your router. On some routers, the wireless connection is disabled by default and you need to turn it on for you to be able to connect wirelessly to it. You can turn it on by connecting to your router's setup page within your browser.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 23 April 2006 - 09:46 AM.

hitman02

hitman02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
no I cannot connect to the internet when hooked to the WAN connection on this router. The Efficent 5930 is a hard wired router not a wireless. right now I am only using it as a switch. It has a built in 8 port switch. Were you able to see the attached screen shot in the last post?

Hitman

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You say you are using it as a switch, does that mean you have another router between the Efficient 5930 and the cable/dsl modem?

Fenor

hitman02

hitman02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
right now I have my DSL modem hooked up it then is attached to my 5930 and my computers are attached to the 5930. The 5930 is a Gateway router, it is a DSL modem/router/switch. When I try to connect to the internet using only my 5930 (as a modem/router) I cannot connect to the internet. The LEDs on the front panel indicate that I have power, a LAN connection and a WAN connection. The attached file on my other post showed that the router(5930, modem/router) was detecting my WAN connection speeds (upload/download) from my ISP but it was not aquiring a WAN IP address, nor a gateway address or DHCP address. Why would it detect a WAN connection but not beable to get any IP address' from the ISP?

Hitman

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Switches cannot give out IP addresses and it also cannot communicate with Cable/DSL modems. You need to change your Effiecent Networks 5930's type to a Router so that it creates and distributes IP addresses to the computers connected to it.

Fenor

hitman02

hitman02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
you are not understanding what the equipment is. I know that switches do not give Ip addresses. It is not able to communicate with my ISP system to get the IP address from there. This is a 3in1 unit Modem/router/switch. I am looking to find as to why the router config portion of the unit is not aquiring an IP address when it is clearly able to see a WAN (internet) connection or at least the upload and download speeds from my ISP. The attached file on the #5 post (I think) shows the router management screen that shows my connection speed but no IP information.

HITMAN

Advertisements

hitman02

hitman02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
the following link will show what the unit looks like and its specs. Hope this helps. With regards to the switch and IP addresses. the lan is working fine I can communicate between computers connected through the switch protion of the unit. It is providing IP addresses locally the problem is aquiring an IP address from my ISP to gain access to the internet.

http://www.chipweb.d...6&id1=95&id2=45

Hitman

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
So then if I am getting what you say correctly, you only have the phone line coming in from the wall jack to your Effiecent Networks 5930 Gateway Router and from there you are connecting with the wire to the computer. If that is the case, what did you replace when started to use this. Was there a different DSL modem that was there and you removed it? If so, then you need to call yoru DSL provider and let them know because your connection was set up to only work through the DSL modem that was first used and therefore needs to be reconfigured to be used with your new Effiecent Networks 5930 Gateway Router.

Fenor

hitman02

hitman02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
If I have to call them then why didn't I have a problem when I went from the GNET modem that they gave me to the SpeedStream 5200 (also by Efficient Networks) That I am using to get to the internet right now?

Hitman

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Most likely the router your friend gave you is bad. If you really want to connect wirelessly to the Internet, then you're going to have to go out and get a new wireless router.

Fenor

hitman02

hitman02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
this is NOT a wireless router, and is brand New from Bell Canada, right out of the box. Thanks for your help but I will ask someone else, obviously you do not want to take the time to look at some of the specs that I sent to you with regards to this unit, so you would have a better understanding as to what it is I have.

Thank you,

Hitman