Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Effiecent Networks 5930 Gateway router

• Please log in to reply

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum. Alternately, you can save your information to a text file by using the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\ipconfig.txt -- navigate to that text file, and copy/paste the information from it.

Goto Start --> Run --> type CMD --> press OK. Now type:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternately for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.
Goto Start, Run, type CMD and press 'OK' - now type: PATHPING google.com -- please copy and paste the results by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', and then pressing the Enter key. Please post the results here.

Goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK' and then perform a Trace route by typing: tracert google.com
Once the trace has completed, please post the results here by right-clicking on the window, selecting 'Select All', and then pressing the Enter key; post the results here.

- Dan

Advertisements

hitman02

hitman02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Dan, Thanks for the reply I will get you those results.

Hitman

hitman02

hitman02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
here is the system setup after I type IPCONFIG /ALL. I am still going through my regular DSL modem I am now going to post all results with my 5930 hooked up. I am still thinking it has something to do with the routers management screen setup.

ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : HITMAN-GAMING

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : no-domain-set.bellcanada

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : no-domain-set.bellcanada

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI For Complete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-02-C7-6C-9F

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.10

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : April 30, 2006 9:14:26 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : May 3, 2006 9:14:26 PM

PPP adapter SURENET (PPPOE):

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 207.236.240.180

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 207.236.240.180

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 207.164.80.240

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

hitman02

hitman02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
here are the remaining results, with not being able to connect to the internet while connected to the 5930.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.254

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>pathping google.com
Unable to resolve target system name google.com.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>tracert google.com
Unable to resolve target system name google.com.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

When I am trying to connect to the internet using only the 5930 I cannot connect to the remote system. I get an error message saying that "The remote computer did not respond." I have double checked my inputs for my username and password with in the management screen. The only thing I can think of is that there is something going on with the PPPOE setting with in the router management system. The router/DSL can detect the WAN uplaod and download speeds but is not able to connect to the remote computer inorder to get the authorization to receive an IP from it.

hope this helps now in a couple of my earlier postings I attached a link for the router specs and attached a file that was a screen shot of one of the router management screens that I see once I am inside of the router.

Hitman

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Howdy,

I took a glance at the provided screenshot, and you're right.. Your router isn't picking up any external WAN information from your ISP. Looking at your router's specs, the only thing that leaps out at me is their constant referral to the router's "robust firewall". Are you sure that you have properly configured this firewall? Alternately, are you sure you have properly configured the router itself? What steps did you take? What software did you install?

Another question I have is why do you have a PPPoE connection (Surenet?) operating alongside your Local Area Connection? If you're wanting to connect with your PPPoE connection, have you allowed this in your router's setup? Have you entered the appropriate details required for you to connect to your ISP via PPPoE?

hitman02

hitman02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
The robust firewall right now is disabled, I thought that might have been causing my problem I read somewhere that somebody else was having a connection problem with that. As for the PPPoE for surenet, Surenet is my ISP provider and that is my broadband connection. Now, with regards to your question about the properly configuring the PPPoE I was wondering that as well, I have my proper username and password configured but there are multiple settings regarding connectivity. PPP over ATM PPPoE ATM and RFT212 (I think that is the one). Now when I connect just through my DSL modem (no router) it is a PPPoE that I am connecting with. So I should be able to connect the same with the dsl Modem part of the router. I can send you a link (I think) to the users manual for this beast if that would help? There are a couple of things in it with regards to the PPPoE that I wasn't sure of.

Hitman

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Sorry for the late reply.. Could you please post that link? Also, when you do use the router, do you connect the router to your external modem? Or do you simply use the inbuilt modem within the router?

hitman02

hitman02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
right now because I can not connect to the internet with the built in modem I have my DSL modem connected to the router (now acting only as a switch) and my 2 computers connected to the router/switch.

attached is the user reference guide for the 5930. Hope it helps.

Hitman

hitman02

hitman02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
sorry doesn't look as though my attachment was attached here it is I hope.

Hitman

hitman02

hitman02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Sorry looks like that file is too big for the forum so I researched and found a web link for the User Reference Guide. Here it is.

http://www.adsl4ever...s/soft/5930.pdf

Page 2-3 Prtocol Selection Page is what I was talking about with regards to the different types of WAN protocols to use.

Hitman

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Have you tried cycling through the possible protocols? The two that look the most promising to me are: Point-to-Point Protocol over ATM and Point-to-Point over Ethernet over RFC 1483. Also, after making any hardware changes, it's always a good idea to power cycle your equipment --
  • Power off your computer(s).
  • Shutdown / unplug your modem.
  • Shutdown / unplug your router.
  • Wait two minutes.
  • Power on your modem. Wait until the modem completely restarts before continuing.. This may take upward of two minutes.
  • Power on your router. Wait until the router completely restarts.. This also can take upward of two minutes.
  • Power on your computer.
Other than that, it looks like a relatively straight-forward setup and installation process.

What lights are active when your router/modem is directly connected to your ISP? Also, whilst connected with only your Efficient router/modem, please do the following:

Please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> Now type: netstat -es -- please copy/paste the results by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum.

Please goto Start, Run, type CMD and press 'OK' - now type: netstat -rn and press enter; please post the results here.

Thanks,
Dan.

hitman02

hitman02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi Dan, ya I thought it would be a straight forward setup too, I have done that power cycling down process everytime. I have tried the other protocols as well but will try everything again.

Thanks

Hitman

drcat

drcat

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey hitman, I'm having exactly the same trouble with my 5930. How are you getting on with things? I'm baffled - I've run out of things to try. Any tips...

mrdlouisd

mrdlouisd

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was using mine as a router between my desktop linux server and xbox. Had a line coming off my cable modem providing the net. Then one day sat down to watch a movie streamed to my xbox, but the xbox was not getting an ip. I dont remember exactly how i set it up in the first place. Ive updated firmware(alot more options now) and tried numerous other things. Hopefully you guys have found the way.