Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PLEASE HELP...100% CPU Usage all the time

• Please log in to reply

badsdad

badsdad

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Any help that anyone can give would be very appreciated.

I have a brand new Compaq Presario system with 512 megs of ram and a 3200+ AMD Sempron Processor. From day 1 it has been slower than death. It always has CPU Usage at 100%.

I went into "services.mcs" and through trial and error found that if I deactivated a file called "BrSplService" my cpu usage dropped down to 0-4% and the system was lightning fast. I did a google search on that file and it turns out it is a legitimante file for my Brother printer.

Now here is where the problem is. When that file is deactivated, I cannot get onto the web. When I open Internet Explorer it just sits and churns. I also have to go into safe mode and restart at the last known settings that worked before I can go back and reactivate the file.

I have tweaked everything that I could and the only thing that fixes the CPU usage problem is turning off this file. Does anyone have any idea about what is going on?

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi,

Did all of your software come installed on your computer when you got it? Do you happen to have a software CD for your printer? What model printer do you have?

Cheers:)

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Contact compaq or brother.
-P.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
have you downloaded the newest brother drivers---I can understand a corrupted driver slowing you down, but not stopping you from getting on the web--that is only the brother service that talks to the windows spooler service. Very strange

badsdad

badsdad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
WOW thanks for the quick responses.

I contacted Compaq and they said to re-format the hard drive...they were basically useless.

I contacted Brother, but they still have not gotten back to me.

This problem started right out of the box from the store

I have a Brother HL-1440. I tried uninstalling it and the nreinstalling the drivers from the disk and it did not solve anything.

Like one of you said...it is very strange...I don't see why my printer drives or the absence of them should keep me from being able to go on the interent.

One other item I left out originally...I can still pull my e-mails with Eudora so it is not keeping me from connecting.

Thanks again

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
fwiw, I disabled that service on my machine and have had no similar issue.

Anway, it is best to download the newest drivers anyway, especially on a new piece of hardware as the worst bugs are discovered soonest. You can buy a machine that is one week out of the factory and there is almost always a driver update

badsdad

badsdad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did download the newest drivers when I did the re-install....that didn't help

Here is a pick of what my task manager shows

Image1.jpg

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
If you disconnect the printer does the process still run? And if so does it stall your system?
-P.