Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Picture Issues in Forums

• Please log in to reply

stormgirl06

stormgirl06

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi!

I seem to be having trouble viewing some pictures on some websites. I'm a moderator on a forum similar to this and when the pictures are linked from uploadpixels for example I can't see them. I don't see a red x box or placeholder to even indicate a picture would be there. Had they not mentioned anything I wouldn't know a pic was there at all. However, if they use photobucket I can see the pictures fine.

Also, when MSN had its groups open I couldn't see the pictures that they copied and pasted in their responses either. As far as I know I can see all file types on other websites. My problem is mainly with forums.

I use IE mainly but I've tried with firefox and I can't see the pictures when I use that either.
Under the advanced internet options in the multimedia section I have all of the boxes checked except for the image placeholder one.

Any help would truly be appreciated! Any other information you need I'll gladly give. Thanks so much.
:whistling:

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Under the advanced internet options in the multimedia section check Show image download placeholders. I have it checked on mine, so this might be your problem. Restart IE afterwords.

However, since you said it occurs with Firefox too, it may not be your problem. In that case, please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :whistling:

stormgirl06

stormgirl06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Okie dokie, I think this is what you wanted but if you manage to help me out feel free to come over for snacks and whatever you want :whistling:

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
lol, have some chocolate ready for me. :blink:

I don't see anything unusual in the hijackthis log, other than McAfee being everywhere. So let's move on to Dial-a-fix...

Before we make any changes, please create a system restore point by going to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. Create a restore point for today. Call it "dial-a-fix"

Next, download Dial-a-fix from http://fileforum.bet...ll/1131569373/2

When you download it, double-click on it to extract all of its files. Then open the folder it creates. Double-click on the file called Dial-a-fix.

Put a check next to the following objects (they are in order from upper-left to lower-right):

Install Windows Script Host
Install VB6 runtime
Install VC6 runtime
Fix SSL/HTTPS/Cryptsvc (and all subboxes)
ActiveX controls/codecs
Explorer/IE/OE/shell/WMP
Object Linking libraries (OLE)

Now click on GO at the bottom. When it is done fixing, restart your computer and see if the problem still occurs. If is does occur again, try this:

Go back to Dial-a-fix and click on Tools at the bottom. Highlight Flush DNS and then click on GO. When it is done fixing, restart your computer again and see if the problem still occurs.

Let me know how it goes. I have to fix your problem so you can see my super cool avatar! :whistling: :help:

stormgirl06

stormgirl06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have your chocolate waiting but none of those things helped at all. I can see your avatar, but I could before too. I went to the website that I was having issues with and still could not see the pictures posted with uploadpixels. do you have any other suggestions?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
What website is it that you are having this trouble with?

stormgirl06

stormgirl06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Interracial Fusion

stormgirl06

stormgirl06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
i've had problems with msn groups too.. but right now my main concern is with the above website. it's hard to moderate when they post pictures that I can't see.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
...either no one at that website has avatars...or I'm having the same issue...

Is there a thread that has a picture that you know about, but cannot see. If so, give me the link...I may be having the same issue :whistling:

In that case, I will be solving this for the both of us :blink:

stormgirl06

stormgirl06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
yeppers this one for starters... IR fusion thread

and most of the people do have avatars...

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

You do not have permission to view this topic

Can't look at it :whistling:

Hmm...I'm gonna see if this problem exists on other computers too...see how widespread this problem is and what similarities/differences each computer has.

stormgirl06

stormgirl06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
oh shoot I forgot you had to be a member to see those pic threads.

Here is one from a general thread you should have access to.

Random Page The first few posts are just pictures.. no words.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
that one to you have to be a member too, just to clear up your question computerwiz12890, i cannot see ANY avators on that site, i don't even go as far as a little red box. Stormgirl06 you should contact the admin and ask if he is also having the problems, or if something is up with the server.
thanx...sorry i can help shed any light on this problem
James

Edited by james_8970, 22 April 2006 - 08:13 PM.

stormgirl06

stormgirl06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I've mentioned it to several people on the board and the admin and he doesn't have any problem with any of the pics. None of the other members have any issues either which is why I thought that it was a problem with my PC.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I started a topic to see how many people can see the pictures and how many cannot. So far, no one here can see them...

Strange... :whistling:

I will try to get a few other Techs to come look at this problem.