Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Picture Issues in Forums

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
just wondering if this is avators in general or pictures all together. Because i havn't come across a picture yet and all avators arn't there.
James

Advertisements

stormgirl06

stormgirl06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I can see several of the avatars all the time and a couple of them its hit or miss.. sometimes i see them, sometimes I don't. Pictures in general... i've recently discovered that pictures uploaded by photobucket, xs, and free image hosting I can view. photos stored on other image hosting sites I can't see.

stormgirl06

stormgirl06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I started a topic to see how many people can see the pictures and how many cannot. So far, no one here can see them...

Strange... :blink:

I will try to get a few other Techs to come look at this problem.

thanks for the help, I really appreciate everything you're trying to do. :whistling:

stormgirl06

stormgirl06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
any luck with anything?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
All I see are links to the images at the hosting site.

Is there a setting on the board for enabling direct linking to the images? I noticed at the Photobucket site that this option can be turned on or off in the Options area...I didn't check the other host sites.

stormgirl06

stormgirl06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
i don't know, i haven't used the other hosting sites for my pictures so i don't see how it could affect what I see when others don't have the same issue.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've looked at the site now with two different browsers running on three different operating systems...all with different settings.

It looks like the images that are hosted on the board are showing fine, but images hosted outside the site are showing as links. I'm certainly not an expert on these things, but I would think the problem may be in the permission masks somewhere.

stormgirl06

stormgirl06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok so how do i find out?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have a look HERE and HERE. I really don't know a lot about permission masks, but the page in the link should help you if that is, indeed, your problem.

stormgirl06

stormgirl06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
i'll check with my admin and see what he can do or says. Thanks!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
1. Guests can't see images or avatars. I registered and then I could see them both. Nice viral marketing technique. :whistling:

2. I was able to see images hosted on the server, and those hosted on third party servers. Everything appeared to be working okay for me.

wannabe1 may be correct, and there's a permission error in the admin control panel for moderators that doesn't allow you to view externally hosted pictures. However, I noticed there are quite a few coding errors that trigger an IE warning on every page. That could also be the problem. Finally, there are quite a few server issues that could cause random image problems, but that would be up to a server admin to look at the logs and diagnose. Invisionfree runs MANY sites on one server, so I doubt that would be the issue.

stormgirl06

stormgirl06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

1. Guests can't see images or avatars. I registered and then I could see them both. Nice viral marketing technique. :whistling: thank you thank you, but it doesn't make anyone post more lol

2. I was able to see images hosted on the server, and those hosted on third party servers. Everything appeared to be working okay for me.

wannabe1 may be correct, and there's a permission error in the admin control panel for moderators that doesn't allow you to view externally hosted pictures. However, I noticed there are quite a few coding errors that trigger an IE warning on every page. That could also be the problem. Finally, there are quite a few server issues that could cause random image problems, but that would be up to a server admin to look at the logs and diagnose. Invisionfree runs MANY sites on one server, so I doubt that would be the issue.

I never noticed coding errors... where would they be coming from? is it something our admin can do something about?

thanks again for all the suggestions, maybe something will work out!

stormgirl06

stormgirl06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
oh i can't see the pictures hosted on the server either... its completely hit or miss with those... i might see one out of 5 and then the next time i view the thread, i can't see any of them. does that clue you guys in to any other problem?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

I never noticed coding errors... where would they be coming from? is it something our admin can do something about?

When using IE, load a page and then look in the lower left corner. You'll see "Done", with a yellow exclamation mark. Double click the icon to view the errors:
error.png

Click previous or next to view additional errors.

stormgirl06

stormgirl06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ah ok, i understand the error thing now.

I don't think its my picture mask though because i can view pictures hosted by certain image hosting places and not others. so wouldn't the mask limit me from seeing all outside pictures? plus i can't see the ones on the server consistently either.