Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

dell dimension 8400 XP install woes

• Please log in to reply

bonebox6

bonebox6

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hello,
i have a dell dimension 8400 that i acquired at a yard sale (bought with as-is stipulation)
it needs an OS but it didn't come with the dell install disk . it has the microsoft proof of license w/product key for Windows XP Media Center Edition. i have tried to install my XP Pro, a Dell dimension XP Home install Disk for a Dimension 4400.

it keeps coming up with this---->
" File iaStor.sys caused an unexpected error (4101) at line 2108 in d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c "

I would greatly appreciate any help that ny of you might be able to provide!
thanks
bonebox6

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you cannot use that key with anything but a media cetner oem disk---and truthfully, the previous owner violated the service agreement by not giving you the media--OEMs travel with teh machine.

Since you got such a good deal, just pop for a new windows disk, ignore the current coa tag, and install fresh

bonebox6

bonebox6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
well yeah,
i failed to mention that i wasn't trying to install media center........i guess my question is this:
can you install say XP Pro on a Dell Dimension 8400 that had had XP Media Center on it.
i have the product key that i need for my XP Pro. Shouldn't i be able to just wipe the HD and install a fresh XP Pro without the computer insisting that it is a dell dimension that is supposed to have XP Media Center. and refusing to install......OR RUN for that matter!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, you should be able to install the way you wish

NOTE; I think iaStor.sys is a sata driver--to install it, you need to press f6 during the boot to install the sata driver from a floppy

Dell's disk had the driver embedded so that is why that disk would not have asked you for it--you will need to install it manually, or create an unattended installation disk with the driver integrated