Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Crashes,, bsod,,high cpu temp ? help.

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi,,
have recently installed some new memory in my pc,,, all went fine.
installed a better, faster cpu also,,, after updating the bios,, everything seemed to work fine.

Today,, i am getting boot loops,,, the pc is booting up,,and getting as far as the welcome screen,, or sometimes as far as loading the start up and screensaver etc,,, but 9 times out of ten, just turns off and automatically goes back into boot again ???

On a few occassions i have had the blue screen of death as well,, giving me the ,,

driver_irql_nt_less_or_equal

But at the moment ,, the pc is working fine,, hence i am here posting this problem !!!

Maybe 1 in 10 bootups,, ends up as a normal bootup and the pc works fine, until you turn it off.

Have noticed that the cpu temp is running between 85 and 96 celcius all of the time,, is this normal ???
I ask , because,, the best luck i have had with getting the pc to boot normally,, is after its been off for a while,,, and the cpu temp on bootup is about 70+ celcius,,, but obviously gets hotter as the minutes go by <<

would really appreciate some advice,, dont want to turn off the pc in case i cant get it going again.
The pc is complely normal at the moment,, as if nothing has happened ???

PS:: ALL PCI CARDS AND PROGRAMS ARE ALL WORKING FINE, SO I DONT THINK THERE IS ANY ISSUE WITH THEM.
Cheers,,, kev.

Advertisements

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
You probably need to reapply the thermal paste and reseat your cpu. It wouldnt hurt to yank of the case side cover just to let it dissapate heat faster. Im thinkin that the heatsink or fan is not seated quite right and getting really hot really fast.
-P.-

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi P-ZERO,,
Thanks for that,,,,got some cpu paste, and an extra fan.
Gonna take a chance now and turn off, to do the paste etc,,,
Just hope to god the bloody thing comes back on again, when i re-boot.

Any ideas about the driver_ irql_ not_ less_ or_ equal ???? on the blue screen ??

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you never said what cpu you are using, but that is WAY TOO HOT

Typical CPU heat is between 35 and 45 degree celcius at idle

driver irql is usually a bad driver, but with that kind of heat, your system is very unstable...fix the heat issue first and then see if the irql error goes away

Sintic

Sintic

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I had a 3200xp barton cpu not long ago that always gave me a driver_irql bsod,
after many weeks of messing about with it, i discovered that it was in fact the chip causing the error.
Probably due to overclocking or one of the many power cuts we get here.. but anyway.

if you still get the BSOD after you have added more paste you can try
start>run>verifier>create standard settings>auto select all drivers. then Finish and reboot

this makes it so when you goto the BSOD it will tell you which driver caused the crash.

EDIT- Remember to turn the verifier off once you have used it, because this WILL slow down you computer within windows.

Edited by Sintic, 21 April 2006 - 09:18 AM.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Thanks guys,,,,
The cpu is only a p4 2.0ghz,, to replace the 1.4ghz on my aging desktop.
I have a powerful laptop for all my high end stuff,, so the desktop is only for internet, email and listening to music,, not much else really,, so i just added a bit more memory and a newer cpu,, simply cos i got them both very cheaply.

The memory installed properly,, however,, its now recorded as 20048gb,, instead of the 1024 that is actually installed ( pc800, 4 x 256), both in the startup screen ,, and in cpu-z ??? strange.

The cpu went in ok as well,, but i ended up flashing the bios as i was getting a lot of error beeps when i first installed it. Gigabyte said no updated bios was required for this cpu,,, but it was fine when i did update the bios.
I think a lot of the errors, and blue screens where because the pc kept shutting down half way thru starting,, cos they all seem to have disapeared,,, SO FAR !!!!

Have put some new paste on the cpu,, and added a 3rd fan at the bottom of the case,, and so far,,, the temperature seems to be ok, when checked with speedfan.
Hope this is the end of it,,,, have shutdown and re-booted 4 times now,,, and pc has started normally each time,,, Fingers crossed !!

Think i will get a newer motherboard and cpu in a few months anyway,,, time for a better pc i think >

Sintic

Sintic

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Wow, that's some good ram :whistling:

irql errors always seem to be un-predictable, many of times when i'd thought i got rid of it, it happened again.
try giving it some stress to test.
or even better.... do something you enjoy doing! if it's going to crash again, it's guaranteed to do it while your doing some you enjoy. :blink:

Edited by Sintic, 21 April 2006 - 10:14 AM.

Zhaguar

Zhaguar

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I just got this problem!!! and if you have been following my previous problems, (Comp has new stuff keeps rebooting) this is very strange

It told me to turn off "Shadowing" and "autosaving features of the motherboard" and reset

I turned off autosaving features for overclockers, but not the shadowing, i dont know what that is.

also, this has nothing to do with the heat...its still cold, like out of the box heheehe 'wtb thermalpast for later on...'

So i did that, reset it, and it continued installing windows....stupid computers....i dont even think it partitioned my second drive...

Edited by Zhaguar, 21 April 2006 - 10:44 AM.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
BIG TROUBLE GUYS,,,,,,,BIG TROUBLE !!

have just done the verifier thing,, that was recommended,,,,rebooted,,,,,,

Now,,, windows takes about 25 mins to load,,, everything that loads takes an eternity.
My mouse is stuttering around sluggishly ,, even getting back into this forum took 20 mins.
This post is taking forever as well.
Have rebooted 3 times,,,,same story,,

EVERYTHING IS RUNNING IN ULTRA SLOW MOTION,,,

Click on Outlook, or internet,, takes abot 2-5 mins to open the page

Please help,,,,, what is going on ????
Please bear in mind how long its taken me to reply,,,

Sintic

Sintic

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
You need to remove all drivers from which the verifier is checking
start>run>verifier>display information about the currently verified drivers.

on the panel on the right side labeled Drivers:
remove every driver from that list and reboot.

Advertisements

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Have tried your suggestion,,,,
everytime i try to remove the drivers in the right hand panel, labelled drivers,,,, i get a pop up error,, saying,,,,,,,

CANNOTDISABLE VERIFICATION FOR ******, THIS ERROR OCCURS IF THE DRIVER IS CURRENTLY LOADED.

All of the drivers in this panel are " loaded ",,,,,and there must be hundreds of them !!

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
bump,,, :whistling:

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
bumpety,bump !!!

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
There might be a button or something that turns off the verifier, you probably have to click that first, before you remove the drivers from the list. pc800......that sounds like rdram to me. Anyway, see if theres a way to disable the verifier.
-P.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Jesus wept !!!!!
What a load of b*****ks,,,,,,,

Thanks for the reply,,, yes you were right,,there must be a button somewhere !!
Well ,, went back into the verifier,, clicked on " delete all settings and exit verifier ",,now all is well.
Computer boots up as normal,,, cpu and ram are all working as they should,,,
What a stressfull waste of a whole evening,,,,, Bloody verifier !!!!!!!

Thanks for the perseverance,,, all seems well .
Cheers,, kev.