Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SpywareGuard Wont Update

• Please log in to reply

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Hello,

When I click "update" on spyware guard - it says there is an error and to try again later.

Anyone know what to do?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It doesn't have updates

Hi,

In fact some of SpywareGuard's strongest protection is indeed its Browser Hijacking Protection, which doesn't need any sort of definition updates.

The current real-time protection built into SpywareGuard 2.2 has been extended about as much as is possible - which unfortunately means a complete rewrite is in order to allow for future changes and updates. This is something I've been working on, but it hasn't been quick in coming.

This doesn't mean that the current real-time scanning is ineffective - rather that it should detect most variants of the items listed here: »www.javacoolsoftware.com/sglist.html (Note: This isn't a comprehensive listing, but it should list most of the major items.) This should include more recent variants of those items, even without database updates, but it won't detect some completely new items (i.e. completely new spyware/adware programs, as opposed to new versions of, say, "RapidBlaster"). That's the difference with the current release.

That said, again the most effective and useful protection for most users has probably been the Browser Hijacking Protection component (which alerts when various browser settings are changed in real-time), which doesn't require the database updates.

A new version of SpywareGuard, with some rather interesting new features, is in development. While I don't yet have a clue when it'll be ready for release, I can say that, regardless of how effective you personally consider the real-time scanning component, the current version of SpywareGuard provides some strong protection against Browser Hijacking - by alerting the user as soon as such activity is detected.

It isn't a catch-all or an end-all (nothing is), but it's meant to be an effective layer. The choice, as always, is left up to the user. I just give them that option (for free).

Best regards,

-Javacool

http://www.dslreport...remark,12411725

BARROS

BARROS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
So the "Live Update" feature is useless?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Slightly

BARROS

BARROS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
OK Cheers man :whistling: