- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Thank you very much for registering and taking the time to let us know that we helped you out TarHeelMike.

Happy safe computing!

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Advertisements

angelinhi

angelinhi

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi, I used smitfraudfix.exe and now can't find the txt file...can someone point me the right direction on where it should have been saved, this [bleep] Spyaxe, etc. has really fried my brain. TY in advance.

angelinhi

angelinhi

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
MY APOLOGIES ~ I used smitrem.exe. Please disregard my post. TY.

Melie J

Melie J

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, sorry if this sounds like a really stupid question but when going into Safe Mode should I run SmitFraudFix in the Administrator Account or my Personal one?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You should run it with an account that has administrator privileges.

Dunne

Dunne

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,

Only want to say I just removed Smitfraud, FINALLY.
I'm experienced with removing this spyware nonsense, but oh my, this Smitfraud thing was a hard one!

Thank you guys! Without you I wouldn't have succeeded!

Cheers!

tacoloco

tacoloco

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have been infected with the etlrlws virus.

I have downloaded SmitFraudFix, but every time i try to double click on it, either in or out of safe mode I get an error message saying that this is "Not a valid Win32 application"

Why is this?

The manual remove won't work for this, do i have any other options to get rid of this virus, short of a complete re-install?

thanks in advance guys.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Go to the Malware Removal forum tacoloco and try the steps in the Sticky Thread

If the problem remains post a HijackThis log in a new topic there and mention the error you get when trying to run SmitfraudFix.

broomduster

broomduster

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've got that malware that takes over the desktop wallpaper with a spyware message, disables Task Manager, and has annoying pop ups every 2 minutes. Every so often it tries to open a web site for Livesecuritycenter.com.

I ran SmitFraudFix the first time it happened and it seemed to fix things. After that I went to the Registry and changed the "Disable Task Manager" value to 0 which seemed to fix the Task Manager problem.

The next day it started all over again. I ran SmitwareFraudFix in safe mode but it did nothing this time. I've run Ad-aware and Norton Internet security but nothing seems to change. Can you help me please. I'm so frustrated I'm ready to throw this computer out the window.

Thanx
J

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
Hi broomduster,
You really need to go to the Malware section, read the instructions and post a log there. Sounds like your getting re-infected somehow, and the best way to find out is letting someone look over your log :)

Harry

Advertisements

gpielow

gpielow

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just to let you know HP support ran smitfraudfix on my computer and I did a virus scan after. Zone Alarm found two trojans and a backdoor attributed to smitfraudfix. I have the screen shot of the results if anyone would like it.

I would stay well away from smitfraudfix.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Smitfraud fix is just one of our armoury of tools and it does work if used properly, but with the speed at which malware transforms today one tool will not catch it all. You probably had multiple infections. Which is why we have a malware forum here with experts, I am not saying that HP doesn't but............

Please follow all of the steps in this section of the Malware Forum. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum. Should you post in that forum please do not respond to your own topic. Our Malware Staff look for topics to help out in that have no responses. The Malware Forum is very busy with many more requests for help than we have volunteer helpers, so please be patient. If you have not had a response to a topic after 3 days then please go to the Waiting Room and read the pinned topic for instructions.

bobkkey

bobkkey

• Pip
  • 1 posts
HI:

I am new here!
Please help!

I have a Dell latitude C600 with windows 2000

I am infected with Error Cleaner, Privacy protector, Spyware Protector and trying to use Smitfraudfix to fix the problem!

I downloaded the SmitfraudFix V2.311, on my C : Document then run it with option 1 , scan mode both with normal mode and safe mode and the rapport.tex shows it found the abobe three malwares.

I then have the computer on safe mode, run Smitfraudfix, option 2, clean mode, then blue box shows up and start the killing process, then 2 seconds later the blue box disappears, the computer screen shows it is on safe mode but nothing else!

I can for over 20 minutes nothing happen, the screen did not comes back to ask the registry or replace any infected file!

Please tell me is it normal, if so how long should I wait!

please help!

Thanks

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I think this is a case of multiple infections so follow this guide

Please follow all of the steps in this section of the Malware Forum. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum. Should you post in that forum please do not respond to your own topic. Our Malware Staff look for topics to help out in that have no responses. The Malware Forum is very busy with many more requests for help than we have volunteer helpers, so please be patient. If you have not had a response to a topic after 3 days then please go to the Waiting Room and read the pinned topic for instructions.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
gpielow, SmitfraudFix is one of the most important tools we have in dealing with infections. The author and the tool are extremely respected, and making such comments without doing the proper research is insulting to him and the hundreds of thousands of users who have used that tool to remove malware.

A few of the tools that we use to fix malware problems get flagged by some anti-viruses as malware, there is nothing we can do about this. We can ensure you that they are not malware though.

We appreciate your caution, but your comment is rude and totally off the mark in this case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured
Malware Removal How to Guides Windows 7 System Building Download Files Register welcome

Never used a forum? Learn how.