How to use SmitFraudFix

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

gpielow

gpielow

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Smitfraud fix is just one of our armoury of tools and it does work if used properly, but with the speed at which malware transforms today one tool will not catch it all. You probably had multiple infections. Which is why we have a malware forum here with experts, I am not saying that HP doesn't but............

Please follow all of the steps in this section of the Malware Forum. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum. Should you post in that forum please do not respond to your own topic. Our Malware Staff look for topics to help out in that have no responses. The Malware Forum is very busy with many more requests for help than we have volunteer helpers, so please be patient. If you have not had a response to a topic after 3 days then please go to the Waiting Room and read the pinned topic for instructions.

Thanks for the reply, why would Zone Alarm indicate that the smitfixfraud program contained two trojans and a back door virus if it did not? I suppose there is a possibility that the malware has been added to the program, I am not sure what site it was downloaded from.

Don't you think it is strange that HP is installing freeware on a customers computer?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The programmes we use contain sub programmes that, because of the work they need to do show the same characteristics as malware. And the sub programmes can be used for good or bad .. us good - them bad. AV's though do not know whether it is a benign programme or a malicious one so they err on the side of caution Think Poacher turned Gamekeeper

And most helpdesks utilise to some degree the freeware programmes made by the selfless people who get annoyed by malware and have the skills to do something about it (not me though :) )

Some of the programmes used are made by sysinternals (now part of Microsoft) and they are flagged as PUP's (potentially unwanted programmes) by AV's

The bottom line I suppose is that AV's say "if it acts like a virus - it is a virus" irrespective of whether it is put to good use or bad

Hope that helps

shattermyworld

shattermyworld

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey everyone, im completely new to this forum, and ive noticed some people have the some problem as i do right now. I have SmitFraud on my computer, have the pop up that takes you to the fake website and the blue screen with the "click here" warning. I downloaded the program everyone is talking about on here, followed all the steps exactly, but it gets to a certain point and it said "temp file can not be deleted because it is being used by another program". The program goes through the rest of the cleaning process and says its done yet i still have the same freaking screen and nothing has changed. I have norton 360 which is proving absolutely worthless and i cant even find a phone number to call them and try to have them help me. Im not good with this fixing computer stuff!!! If anyone at all can help me id really appreciate it! SOMEONE HELP im at my wits end and im about to toss this SOB out of my window!!!! Also my task manager has been disabled... any ideas?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
That sometimes happens I am afraid as the malware writers change what they do

Please follow all of the steps in this section of the Malware Forum. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum. Should you post in that forum please do not respond to your own topic. Our Malware Staff look for topics to help out in that have no responses. The Malware Forum is very busy with many more requests for help than we have volunteer helpers, so please be patient. If you have not had a response to a topic after 3 days then please go to the Waiting Room and read the pinned topic for instructions.

shattermyworld

shattermyworld

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the help, i got it. You guys are awesome!!!

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Glad that it worked for you :)

Thanks for letting us know

jasonwalz

jasonwalz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am another lucky winner of the cyberlog x virus. I followed the instrucitnos for removal by using SmitFraudFix. After I ran it my computer wont start windows in normal mode. It goes to a black screen and says windows failed to start normally. Then has the options to start in Safe Mode and the option to Reboot or Start Normally. It will only start up in Safe Mode. Any advice on why this oculd be would be helpful

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Not sure why that is caused, probably due to other malware as I have never heard Smitfraud causing such problems

Go to the Malware Removal forum

http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

Read the Sticky Threads and post the required logs in a topic there. Mention your problem booting up in Normal Mode

Somebody will help you fix it once you do that

gino59

gino59

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just curious - I'm runing the fix now in safe mode. It kiled the process, hosts, etc. through deleting the temp files. It then asked if I wanted the registry cleaned and I entered yes (y). How long does that usually take? It's been sitting there in the command window with a blinkiing cursor just below the "y/n" line where I entered "y". It's been about 20 minutes now. Any idea what sort of time it takes to clean a registry? Many thanks!!

gino59

gino59

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay - seems like just under an hour to clean out the registry. So far, all seems good - looks like that nasty virus is gone. You guys totally rock! Many many thanks!! :)

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Thanks for the feedback, glad your problem was fixed :)

Deejay100six

Deejay100six

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Is it ok to use this program to check if i have any of the nasties in the list or is it just to be used if you already know you have been infected?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Yes you can use it that way

Search:
* Double-click smitfraudfix.exe
* Select 1 and hit Enter to create a report of the infected files. The report can be found at the root of the system drive, usually at C:\rapport.txt

Nolan Converse

Nolan Converse

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The issue Iam having is that when I log into Administrator in Safe mode I cannot access the SmitfraudFix. Could someone advise me as to how run it in Safe Mode?

STLChivito

STLChivito

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I am 16, and I tried to use the Smitfraudfix program on my friends computer since it solved my problem with the viruses my computer had. However when I used it on my friends computer I got a blue screen at the end. And they took it to Geek Squad and they said, "we can't fix it until your remove that program." So when you press Ctrl+Alt+Delete the manager task window appears and that allows you to view the desktop and view or open any folders you want but only for a short while. So my question is how do I delete the program? I really need your help cause if not I have to pay his mom the money for the computer and I don't have that type of money and I was just trying to be helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured
Malware Removal How to Guides Windows 7 System Building Download Files Register welcome

Never used a forum? Learn how.