• 47,710 posts
For SmitfraudFix.exe all you have to do is delete the file and it's folder

I suggest heading over to the malware removal forum

Advertisements

DaShast

DaShast

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello. I've had SmitfraudFix on my computer (XP) for ~1yr and when I used it back then everything worked the way the directions outline.

I just tried using again just now but when I try to run it all that comes up is the little black DOS-looking window with a little flashing cursor - - - there are no numbers or words or anything for me to select "1" and start the process.

Any ideas?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
It gets updated often, so I would recommend deleting the version you have, re-downloading it, and try running it again

tremtan

tremtan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi. I have downloaded smitfraudfix onto my desktop. Then, when I go into the Safe Mode, logged on as The Administrator, the icon for smitfraudfix is not visible on the desktop. Therefore, I can not run sitfraudfix in Safe Mode as I can't see the icon. Any ideas what I should do to correct this? Thanks for the feedback.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

Slymoan

Slymoan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Just wanted to add my thanks for all the hard work everybody involved with this website has put in. I am an absolute nightmare with computers, but with the help of this forum and its friendly mods I have been able to coax my laptop back to life. So thank you again, and I will be sure to return when the terror of technology grips me once more.

Yours, Slymoan

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Glad we could help :)

tremtan

tremtan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey, just wanted to say thanks a million...your advice helped me to get rid of the smitfraud problem I had.

For anyone else that could not see the smitfraudfix icon on their desktop in Safe Mode, I downloaded it onto another user account OTHER THAN The Administrator, and could see the icon in the other user account. I ran the fix and it worked like a charm. I would also recommend that once you run the fix you then run your anti virus software and/or your malware scanner. I seem to have found infections that I did not know I had and cleaned them easily following running of the smitfraudfix routine followed by my AVG anti virus program.

Thanks again, you guys ROCK!!!

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Thanks for the kind words, and I'm glad you got sorted out. :)

Vicstah

Vicstah

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys.

I was having some trouble running SmitFraudFix and I was wondering if any of you could help me.

Firstly, I've been using Smit for quite a while now, but the other day when I tried to run it under safe mode, only a blank black screen showed up.

So I followed some suggestion elsewhere and renamed the file "SmitFix.exe".

This then showed the menu screen, and I proceeded to press 2 and then enter

However, it seemed to completely stop after "Killing process...........hosts......."

At first, I just thought that this process was taking a while so I let it run over the next 36 hours or so.

Sadly, there was no change.

I've definitely downloaded the newest version and I've reinstalled SmitFraudFix several times.

Unless I rename the file from "SmitFraudFix.exe" to "Smitfix.exe", it won't even bother showing the menu screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Sounds like you have something nasty hiding there

Head over to the Malware Removal forum, you will need somebody to help you out

MxOmega

MxOmega

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello. I am new to the forum, and usually do all my own malware removal. I use SmitFraudFix alot on many machines and it seems to work great. I only started using Vista when I purchased my new laptop. The problem I am having is that SmitFraudFix keeps saying "Access is Denied." I am running it in my administrator account in safe mode. Is there another way to run this that I am missing?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Not sure what is causing that, may be malware related...

Make sure to right click on the file and click Run as admin

Other malware may be causing it not to work as well

MxOmega

MxOmega

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the advice. I will try this later. Do you know of any other good "free" anti-malware program just in case this wont work?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Follow the steps in this link

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured
Malware Removal How to Guides Windows 7 System Building Download Files Register welcome

Never used a forum? Learn how.