Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Holy cow

• Please log in to reply

Screeminee

Screeminee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been having some issues lately, first the system32 folder was opening at startup and my taskbar icons were either not appearing or coming up as the wrong thing (ie mcafee showing not running icon when running, power management icon not appearing). Now, looking at msconfig, there were two entries in my startup list that were are strings of asian characters fort the 'startup item' and 'command'. The location shown is "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows". When I disabled them through MSConfig, new and shorter strings appeared and tried to load on startup, but I got an error message saying they couldn't be found. There is also a blank entry in my startup list that keeps coming back when I restart. How can i find and delete the offending entries and if there is software associated with it, that too? I can't copy the string from MSConfig, and I can't seem to find any reference to it anywhere but MSConfig. HELP!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.