Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Network Connectivity Issues - Signal Drops

• Please log in to reply

teknics

teknics

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey guys, been reading in the background and tried to address my issues withthe explanations in prior posts. Most specifically this post: http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=100635

What started out as a sporadic signal problem, as of today has developed into a bigger issue. I can be connected to the network on my desktop for hours, then the signal drops out for no reason. My girlfriend will be on my laptop and experiences NO issues whatsoever.

I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router and a WMP54G wireless PCI card in my desktop. The laptop has a wireless card built in.

My network is secure and there are no other visible networks in the area. I am about 20 feet from the router and I have the high gain antennas on the router. The firmware for the router is the most up to date and the driver for the PCI card is also the latest.

Following the reccomendations in the thread I listed, I have done the following:

Changed the channel on the router twice.
Dowloaded and installed the TCP/IP program and updated the reconnect tries to - 100
Downloaded and ran the winsock fix
Looked at and researched the eventvwr error messages
Uninstalled the Linksys connection program and let windows do it's thing (which worked good for 2 days).
Specified a static IP for the desktop computer.

Now today, I got a bunch of errors within 15-20 minutes worth of time.

What I did notice, is that I lost all the information about the static IP I assigned....the properties window is back to "Obtain IP Automatically".

Here is the event viewer messages:

(Not the IP I assigned, seems to be the IP of the Cable Modem)
Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 0014BF77CBF5. The IP address being used is 169.254.180.164.

(The most common error)
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0014BF77CBF5. The following error occurred:
The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

If you guys would like me to add anything else, let me know.

TIA,

tek

Advertisements

teknics

teknics

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I got a new error on eventvwr this morning:

IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.

Can anyone help?

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Again, as said in the post you were reading, are the dropouts predictable or random?

Edited by SuperSam, 23 April 2006 - 02:56 PM.

teknics

teknics

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
They are random, it could happen every hour but then be fine for a day and then be sporadic.

Here is the thing, I rent from my cousin - I have my router by their computer and I just found that their 2.4ghz phone base was ON TOP of my router. I moved the phone base - but I can't prove it was affecting my signal. It is still in the vicinity....

I did that about a half hour ago, so if it keeps happening maybe I will offer to get them a new phone and see where it goes.

From everything I have read, it seems that my DHCP is flaky on the router, which could also affect it. It has as the latest firmware though, maybe I will throw a 3rd party firmware on and see if I can tweak the settings a bit more.

WRT54g v.3

Edited by teknics, 23 April 2006 - 03:04 PM.

oldboat

oldboat

• Pip
  • 3 posts
make shure have latest firmware update!