Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Another noob question

• Please log in to reply

Dexter0

Dexter0

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello

I have been using XP for a long time but ,on my new comp , and suddently I have tons of Files that have they're name written in BLUE in "My computer".

I have the standard windoes theme and I doubt it a virus.

Nothing bad is happening but its strange for me.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Hello Dexter0.

This means those files are compressed. Not with winzip, but by windows. Either because they are hardly used, or, if everything is blue, then that means you've compress the entire hard drive. If only some files are blue, this is normal, since windows will automatically compress them if they are not used for a long period of time.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just to add to computerwiz12890's information, encrypted files are also shown in blue. This is handy to some of those who may need to find the files, but for the average user, it is more of a mystery than a help. You can change the way they are displayed by openeing the Control Panel, double clicking on the "Folder Options" icon, clicking on the "View" tab, and unchecking the checkbox next to "Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color". Click "Apply" then "Ok". The files will now all be displayed the same way.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 21 April 2006 - 05:28 PM.

Dexter0

Dexter0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
mhmm... Ok, thanks alot for the help.