Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer 511974.mainsp3ff.msp

• Please log in to reply

bj and the duke

bj and the duke

• Pip
  • 6 posts
When trying to open Outlook or Word, I get the message 'preparing to install' then the box opens saying that I need to locate 511974.mainsp3ff.msp. I have tried everything, I've searched the web and used every idea they offer...I can not uninstall it won't let me, I have used all the Microsoft clean up utility stuff, called Dell who sold me this thing and they are NO help...I'll not buy another from them....Microsoft tells me to pay them to fix an error on their product...and my isp Help Desk told me to take it into a shop for repair...do I look like I"m made of money when I know dang good and well there has to be a fix I can do. This occured when I was trying to clean up my system from spyware.

Help please
BJ :whistling:

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go.

What is your current situation with Microsoft Office? Is it installed, uninstalled, or partially uninstalled but failed?

In addition, please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I will be looking to make sure you successfully removed the infections, but if I notice any left over, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

bj and the duke

bj and the duke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm guessing it is installed, it will not let me do an uninstall, and all the software is there, However it will not let me access the software, that's when I get the message about the 511974.mainsp3ff.msp. I have Outlook 2002. and Windows XP.

thx
BJ

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
bj and the duke...

Did this problem just show up within the last week or so, of have you never been able to open these programs?

wannabe1

bj and the duke

bj and the duke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
wannabe1, I have been fighting this issue for over a week. I have tried to follow every suggestion I've seen online, but nothing is working. Is there a way I can just down load the thing??? If it's trying to find something that is not there, then can't I just get it??? It's so frustrating, and I can't get my homework done, my online class requires Word, and they don't mean wordpad :whistling:

thx
BJ :blink:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Control Panel and then Add or Remove Programs. Tick the box at the top to "Show Updates". Scroll down the list to near the bottom of the updates and see if the Security Update KB908531 is there. If it is, remove it and reboot.

Try to open MS Word.

wannabe1

bj and the duke

bj and the duke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I was so sure I would find it and this would work...but I don't have that update, I have these: KB873379 and KB912945. All I have to say is if someone can fix this, it will be a miracle, because everyone has tried and everything has been tried LOL .

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Let's give Dial-a-fix a try, shall we?

Before we make any changes, please create a system restore point by going to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. Create a restore point for today. Call it "dial-a-fix"

Next, download Dial-a-fix from http://fileforum.bet...ll/1131569373/2

When you download it, double-click on it to extract all of its files. Then open the folder it creates. Double-click on the file called Dial-a-fix.

At the bottom, there are 2 green checks. Click on that. This will select EVERY box in Dial-a-fix, except for Install Windows Installer 3.1. You will have to check that one manually. The only one that I want you to UNcheck is the one called Install VC6 runtime in the upper-left corner. Click on GO after you have it set up like that.

It should take a good while to fix everything. When it is done, restart your computer and see how it is running.

If it actually gets worse (dial-a-fix has never caused a problem yet), you can go back to the restore point I had you create.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 23 April 2006 - 03:28 PM.

bj and the duke

bj and the duke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hi computerwiz, I have to admit, after reading your suggestion I was so excited, I just knew this was the answer, but it still didn't work...Ok, I have a question, I have an OLD copy of my Windows 2000 from a previous system, what if I try and install it, can I then upgrade to 2002 with my cd??? Now don't laugh, I'm just trying anything :whistling: it may not work...but at this point I'm wondering if I should try to reformat my hard drive.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you tried repairing the Office Installation?

Open Control Panel and double click on Add/Remove Programs. Locate your Microsoft Office Installation and select it...click the "Change" button. Click on "Repair" and follow the prompts to repair Office. Reboot and try Word again.

bj and the duke

bj and the duke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yep I tried that too. I'll tell ya what, I'm going to call the PC shop tomorrow and see if I can get it in for repair, almost 2 weeks of fighting this is got me so angry I'm about to just buy a new system, ok can't do that until NEXT january :whistling: but when I find out (if they can fix it) what they did I'll share the information with you for all your help.

thx so much

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I will be interesting to see how they fix it.

Looking forward to that info :whistling:

mcasconi

mcasconi

• Pip
  • 1 posts

yep I tried that too. I'll tell ya what, I'm going to call the PC shop tomorrow and see if I can get it in for repair, almost 2 weeks of fighting this is got me so angry I'm about to just buy a new system, ok can't do that until NEXT january :whistling: but when I find out (if they can fix it) what they did I'll share the information with you for all your help.

thx so much

Did you every figure this out?
mcasconi