Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Imac Problems

• Please log in to reply

cartzz

cartzz

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I have a serious issue with one of the older G3 imacs, (one of the straight iMac models, slot loading).

It had some issues a few years ago and hasnt really been used since then but i came to fix it recently and was going to install everything back onto the computer, but found it didnt even have a location i coulf install to, and gave me instructions to mount a valid volume for software installation. How do i do that? Basically, my hard disk seems to have disappeared or something.

Once i have done this is there any efficient way of completely wiping the computer and all of its miserable problems and starting again completely from scratch so i can rebuild something which vaguely resembles a computer?

Thanks

Edited by cartzz, 22 April 2006 - 12:36 AM.

Advertisements

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Which verson of the Mac OS are you using?

cartzz

cartzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Mac OS 9.0.4, sorry cant believe i left that out

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
I have an easy fix, if you have access to another machine. Macs can boot as a firewire drive, and you can install from there. I have 2 G3 iBooks, and one doesn't even have a DVD drive. The trouble then becomes installing off the OS X DVD. You can wipe everything from there and do a fresh install.

If you boot from the install disc, it will allow you to choose a drive to install to. Then you can choose the drive on your machine, and go from there. (You do have OS X right? I mean to install with?)

[of course, this is all assuming you aren't trying to save any data. If you just want a fresh install, then this will work. (otherwise I'll get you a different fix, and we can go from there.) ]

cartzz

cartzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I dont actually have OS X, i run off OS 9 discs...would it be worthwhile updating to OS X while i fix the problem?

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
I would upgrade to the latest build of OS X Tiger. If you do a new install and still have the issue, we'll work on finding the fix.

cartzz

cartzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Is there a possiblity of getting a fix for OS 9? I just dont want to buy OS X tiger and then find out the computer is still screwed because it would be a waste of money.