Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tracking of IP address in friend's blog

• Please log in to reply

goofygoober

goofygoober

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a friend whom im not close to, but i visit her blog every now and then.
Just a few days ago, she found out that i visit her blog occassionally. (i did not tell anyone about me going to her blog)
So my question is, could there be an IP tracking device or smth? If so, how did she find out that the address belongs to me, how do u turn it off and how do i continue going to her blog without her knowing?

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hi, and welcome.

On blog sites people can find out peoples IP addresses very easily... If you are trying to go on there undetected you should look at using a proxy. There are guides on google!

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
what super sam has told you is about as much as any of us can discuss as, otherwise we whould be getting involved in a personnel issue which we are not at liberty to help you out with. thank you for your understanding

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
hmmm...I can take an educated guess at who visited my site by looking at the stats, which include name of ISP, browser,OS, screen resolution, length of visit, pages viewed, referring link, and IP # if they have visited before. (If Joe tells me he looked on Tuesday and he doesn't clear his cookies, then looks on Thursday, I see him as a repeat visitor with entries for both days.) Broadband has given many of us IP addys that don't change often. If I wanted to visit a site discreetly, I would use a library computer, a dial up connection, or a proxy host.

Before anyone gets hopping mad that their computer is reporting all this info to the webmasters, stop and think: If a webmaster knows how people are using the site, he can make the site suit their needs better, and in business, that is critically important. (Imagine if NewEgg had a hard to use site? shudder) Plus, your browser has to communicate what it has to work with to the server which needs to know what info to release, and in what format.

Johanna

goofygoober

goofygoober

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thank you very much.