Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive trouble

• Please log in to reply

liverpoolfcfan

liverpoolfcfan

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
i dunno if this is the right section but, i have one hard drive in my computer and it has windows xp installed on it, i want to put an old hard drive i found in as a second hard drive. problem is it keeps saying no operating system found, i know the old hard drive has windows 98 installed on it i believe that is the problem and is it possible to put these two hard drives in this one computer?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Yes, it can be done. You need to set the jumper on the 2nd hard drive for slave. Take a look at the back of the hd where the ribbon cable connects. You will see a series of small pins with a movable jumper. There is usually a table on the hd itself where the manufacturer details how to set it. Just move it to the correct pins for slave setting. Unless you need the files on that 2nd hd, it is probably best to format the drive once you get it installed. Check your bios once installed to make sure it sees the 2nd drive.

liverpoolfcfan

liverpoolfcfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i have moved the pin to where i believe it says too but it says operating system not found on hard drive

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Check your bios. It needs to see the drive for the os to see it.

liverpoolfcfan

liverpoolfcfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
how do i check my bios? i can get to my bios by the way i just dont know wat im looking for.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Start by looking at the standard cmos features, probably first item on the first screen. Does it show the slave drive?

liverpoolfcfan

liverpoolfcfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i have a compaq computer and when i enter my bios all it has is tabs up the top off my pc that says "main, storage, security and advanced"

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You will need to investigate each. You want to see it list IDE primary master and shows device name, and IDE primary Slave and shows name of the hd you are trying to install. You may need to go to advanced and check the primary master settings. Set them to auto.

billystorm

billystorm

• Pip
  • 2 posts

i dunno if this is the right section but, i have one hard drive in my computer and it has windows xp installed on it, i want to put an old hard drive i found in as a second hard drive. problem is it keeps saying no operating system found, i know the old hard drive has windows 98 installed on it i believe that is the problem and is it possible to put these two hard drives in this one computer?

====> check your jumper(s) bud. you shouldn't have any trouble if the jumper settings are correct - but wait; be aware that some harddrives lie to you about the jumper settings. for instance - sometimes when it says "slave" and you set it to that using the jumper, it won't work. best thing to do in that case is just play with the jumper settings til you get it right. you can't hurt anything, so don't worry bout that.

liverpoolfcfan

liverpoolfcfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
ok under storage there is ide devices and this is wat it has:

IDE driver translation = enable
Enhanced IDE transfer = enable
Ultra DMA = enable
Primary IDE controller = enable
Secondary IDE controller = enable

that was wat it came up as

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
That is good. Keep looking. You want to see that hd listed as a device the bios knows is installed. I would expect it to be under main. Also check advanced, make sure the settings are auto.

liverpoolfcfan

liverpoolfcfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i can find anything signifigant i dont think, except maybe under "diskette drives",

its got:

floppy diskette A = disabled
Floppy diskette B = disabled

that got anything to do with it?

also ill tell ya the headings under "main" tab are:

system information
set time and date
set defaults and exit
ignore changes and exit
save changes and exit

under the "advanced" tab is:

Power-on self test
powerloss management
PCI devices
bus options
device options

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Ok, look under system information, and set date and time. The primary and secondary IDE devices should be listed in one of these. (but hey, this is a compaq...not knocking it. I have an old socet A AMD compaq myself). Also check device options under advanced. The IDE settings are probably there.

liverpoolfcfan

liverpoolfcfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
device options has:

alternate memory reporting = enable
USB legacy keyboard support = enable
parralelport mode = ECP
num lock state at power on = on
processor number = disable

im sorry for all this trouble ur going through

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
What shows under system information? It should show your hard drives master and slave, and the cd drives master and slave.