Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RPC (rpcss) random errors?

• Please log in to reply

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hey everyone,

I have been having occasional errors with the Remote Procedure Call which forces a reboot in 1 minute (running Windows XP SP2 with all updates). I searched online and found information linking it with a few viruses, most namely the old MSBlaster worm. I did a full scan with Symantec Anti-virus and found one virus and removed it. Further scans are clean. The system is also clean when scanning for adware/spyware with SpyBot and Adaware. The error seems to occur randomly and not connected with any certain activity and can happen anywhere from once a day to around once a week. It can be cancelled with the "shutdown -a" command.

Any ideas on where to look for the ghost in the machine? I had similar errors around 1.5 years ago and cleared up on its own.

Cheers,
Tom

Advertisements

Sintic

Sintic

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Tried running the actual MSBlaster removal tool, if of course it is that?

http://securityrespo...moval.tool.html

It is also possible to disable RPC from shutting down the computer, it's the kind of thing i would do, but probably not recommended to keep disabled :whistling:

start>run> SERVICES.MSC /S
Click properties for Remote Procedure Call (not Remote Procedure Call Locater)
Then locate the Recovery tab, you will see.

Edited by Sintic, 22 April 2006 - 12:10 PM.

gust0208

gust0208

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Thanks for the reply and I wasn't clear in my first post. The virus found was not the MSBlaster bug, but something named "HackTool" or "HackerTool". I searched on them and did not find much information. I have kept my Symantec up to date, so I was frankly suprised to find anything when doing the initial scan.

Cheers,
Tom

gust0208

gust0208

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hey Sintic,

Thanks for the tip on the changing what it does on failure in the services tab! That was awesome! Now I can fidget it with it, and if nothing else change the number of minutes to restart to some arbitrary large number or have it run "shutdown.exe -a" in response.

Thanks again,
Tom

It is also possible to disable RPC from shutting down the computer, it's the kind of thing i would do, but probably not recommended to keep disabled :whistling:

start>run> SERVICES.MSC /S
Click properties for Remote Procedure Call (not Remote Procedure Call Locater)
Then locate the Recovery tab, you will see.