Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Persistent Crashing Problem

• Please log in to reply

Sulfur

Sulfur

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I've been having this problem for over a year now. Every time I think I figure it out, it still pops up.

It crashes while running any slightly intensive game. Sometimes the game just crashes to desktop with absolutely no error messages, other times the computer reboots.

Here's what I've tried:

replaced CPU fan, reducing temperatures 20 C (currently tops at about 45C under full load)
replaced hard drive
replaced video card
replaced RAM after finding thousands of errors in it. (current RAM checks out w/no errors)
Updated motherboard and video drivers, aswell as directx

That leaves the power supply, the processor, and the motherboard itself. Could any of those cause this problem?

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, could we see your specs then, write them out one by one or just use this little free program, scan,copy and paste the log back to here.

sysspecs
http://www.alexnolan...are/sysspec.htm

Also, which type of games cause this problem for you.

Sulfur

Sulfur

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It seems to be anything CPU or Graphix intensive. I wish I could say which specifically, but I'm not sure. So far it's been any full screen game.

I've attached my specs.

Attached Files

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Just reposting your specs to make it easier of others to read.

System Specification---4/22/2006 12:54:40 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer 6.0.2600.0000

Memory (RAM) 2048 MB

CPU Info AMD Athlon™ XP 3200+

CPU Speed 2180.3 MHz

Sound card Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit

Display Adapters RADEON 9550 | RADEON 9550 Secondary | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD |

Screen Resolution 1280 X 1024

Network Network Present

Network Adapters NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport |

CD / DVD Drives E: OPTORITEDVD RW DD1205 | F: ARTEC WRR-4848 |

Default Printer

COM Ports COM1 |

LPT Ports LPT1 |

Mouse 3 Button Wheel Mouse Present

Hard Disks C: 128.0GB | D: 57.3GB |

Hard Disks - Free C: 107.4GB | D: 10.8GB |

USB Controllers Detected: 2 host controllers.

Firewire (1394) Not Detected

PCMCIA (Laptops) Not Installed

Manufacturer Phoenix Technologies, LTD

Product Make

Serial Number

AC Power Status OnLine

BIOS Info AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 04/01/05 | Nvidia - 42302e31 | |

Time Zone Pacific Standard Time

Battery No Battery

Motherboard MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6570E

Modems Not detected

System Spec
http://www.alexnolan.net

Edited by fleamailman, 22 April 2006 - 02:08 PM.

joey!!!

joey!!!

• Pip
  • 2 posts
[b][color=#3366FF]im having the same issue with my custom computer i cant seem to find out why my computeris crashing when i start the game called counter-strike, i can do other things like internet surfing and downloading and updates and all kinds f things but i cant seem to ply steam counter-strike ok well i login and start cz(condition-zero) and like 3minutes later my computer reboots and it logs into windows and says nothing i have no idea but i herd opinions like...

1. its the processer overheating...
2. its the ram...
3. its the power supply not enough power...
4. the motherboard drivers arent installed...
5. its the hard drive...

WindowsXP SP 2 version 2002

Motherboard = (dont know name but have serial number) PT800CE-A
Hard drive = seagate 40Gb ATA baracua (i have the serial number too) ST340016A
Grafix card = NVIDIA Gforce4 MX 4000
Processor = Intel® Pentuim® 4 (HT) 3.2
Momory = 512

so plz just help me some1 any1 atleast u can give me some idea's i cant afford to pay, i just bought the finishing pieces and i now have no more money.

Sulfur

Sulfur

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
You can test if it's your memory giving you problems with this bootable diagnostic:

http://www.memtest86.com/

You can check your temperatures with this one:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

If you get up to 60 degrees C or higher on your processor, that could be doing it.

I just replaced power supply, still having troubles. Guess that leaves motherboard and processor. I'm going to swap in an old processor and see what happens...

joey!!!

joey!!!

• Pip
  • 2 posts
wow got a reply in 1 day that amazing Right on nice people anyways..
i was surfing and i found something that i herd about i ask a compter employee and he said it could be the grafix card so i bought a fan and some artic silver and put the artic silver on the cpu and some on the grafix and i tuened it on and i got this weird looking flashinf lines like some are white and some are red but when i get to windows it stops hmm.. anyways.

i installed xp sp1 with my cd and i installed sp2 version 2002 from microsoft and then i was getting weird things like my computer is slower than i have ever seen it its freezing AND i have all updates. so i was ganna try to fix the fizzly lines when i start my comp like member the lines i was having when i applied the artic silver? ya well anyways i went to clean it off and i put the regular thermal adheasive(cant spell that)
and nothing changed so i took the cpu fan off, took the cpu out and took the cleaned the edges and put it on and put the fan on and it wouldnt turn on and i found out that i put DIDNT put the cpu in all the way so now i have to buy a new processor so ya now im in a bind i, ganna get money in a few days so ima buy a pentium D and i was wondering if it will work with my processor so i can even GET back to where i was! lol everything sux im my life.
so i was talking about my grafix... i was looking at some sites and found out other ppl have the same problem im having (starting full screen games and computer is rebooting automaticly), they said the problems with there NVIDIA Drivers arent updated or something like that so once i get my processor ima try to update then, the thing is that i was trying to update then in the first place and i was getting a weird icon in Device Maneger it said my Grafix card and it had a yellow (!) icon near it.
i have the cd that i bought it with and its only like 7 months old but idk anyways if u read my life story(^^^^) i apreciate is so much u dont understand anyways ill display my mother board ty c ya!

MOTHERBOARD...

ECS PT800CE-A Socket478 / PT800CE / DDR400 / A&L / ATX Motherboard

and heres the pentuim D i want to run...

Intel 805 Dual Core 2.66 533 775 2MB Retail
Store ID: cpu-pd-805
$144
Brand: Intel
Model#: Pentium D 805
Architecture: 90 nm - LGA 775
Clock Speed: 2.66GHz
Front Side Bus: 533MHz
Cache: 2x1MB L2
Supported Intel Chipsets: 955X/945P/945G

so ya i wanna know before i buy it and thanks for those scans u left me