Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dead psu?

• Please log in to reply

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I just recently put together a new computer. Athlon 64 x2 4200 dual core precessor, geforce 7600 gt video card, gig of ram, epox npa+ mobo, 200 gig maxtor sata hdd, dvd rw/rom, case with built in 500 watt psu. After carefully assembling everything, i turned on the computer and everything worked fine. I asjusted the bios as necessary and installed windows. I installed some drivers and other software that came with my hardware. Everything was going fine, and i took a break. I turned the computer off and left for a day. The next day i came back and nothing happens when i hit the power button. I made sure there was power coming from the socket and that my psu is turned on. I adjust all power cables inside the computer and tried using the manual power on button located on my mobo. no matter what i did nothing happened. The PSU does not turn on or make any noise like it did before. I am assuming my psu died, but i would like to make sure that is the problem before i buy a new one. Thank you for your help.

-Dave Burg

Advertisements

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Make sure the button on the psu is in the on position

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Yea, the PSU is turned on :whistling:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Yea, the PSU is turned on :whistling:

LOL it must have died then from the sounds of it. Thats what you get for using a cheap crappy power supply. We always say dont use cheapo powersupplies, you get what you pay for...

Look for a good brand true power, power supply. Antec, Enermax, Ultra, Ocz, thermaltake are all good powersupplies.... Make shure it says 24 pin or 20+4 pin on the specifications.. Just because it said 500watts doesnt mean its a good powersupply remember that from now on.. A cheap 500watt is not as good as a solid brand true power 350watt...

All you really need is a 450-500 watt psu a 550w would be more than enough..

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
yea, i got a 150 dollar case/psu so i figured i was paying for something that would last more than a day... but i guess not. Ill order a new psu and install that and if i experience more problems ill post back. Thanks guys

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
There is one easy way of testing the PSU:

1) Disconnect all the PSU connectors from the computer, especially the ones that connect to the motherboard. Leave one molex plug connected though, to an optical drive only.

2) Plug in the mains cable (from rear of PSU to wall socket) & turn the power switch on the rear of the PSU on.

3) Get a bare metal paperclip (or similar), straighten it out then bend it into a tight U shape.

4) Insert one end of the paperclip into the underside of the main 20pin ATX connector of the PSU. It must be inserted into pin 14 (green wire) hole. Push it up as far as it will go.

5) Insert the other end of the paperclip into any of the holes on the underside of the ATX connector that has a black wire feeding into it. It doesn't matter which one as long as it IS a black one.

This should power the PSU on. If your PSU is particularly quiet & you can't hear it make any noise, then place one hand over the back of the PSU where the fan grill is to tell if the fans spinning.

Let me know if it powers up or not. If it does, it still doesn't mean that the PSU is definately ok - the next step is to test the outputs with a multimeter (voltmeter). Let me know if it gets this far first.

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I did as you said with the paper clip. Unfortunately still there was no activity in the power supply. Does this mean the PSU is dead, or are there still more tests?

Thank you very much
Dave

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I did as you said with the paper clip. Unfortunately still there was no activity in the power supply. Does this mean the PSU is dead, or are there still more tests?

Thank you very much
Dave

Its dead if you tried all of that..

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Yeah, jrm20 is right - if that doesn't force it to power up then its fried I'm afraid.
One last thought which I'm sure you've already tried - you have tried it with a different mains cable (or changed the fuse in the plug) haven't you?

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Yea, i tried all that. Ive sent it back to get repaired and if it fails again ill just buy a better one. But for now im cheap so ill try this one again lol