Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU temperature advice needed

• Please log in to reply

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, I recently upgraded my CPU to a Pentium4 660 3.6GHz, and I wanted to make sure it was cool, so I also bought a Coolermaster Hyper48 to go with it, which reaches a max CFM of 3,400 according to Everest. I am not sure what the ideal/max temperatures are, but I get the feeling that mine are too high.
The idle temp is around 50-52C and under heavy load they go up to 64C (again, according to Everest). I have a spacious, well ventilated case with two powerful 120mm case fans and a HDD fan, and I used Arctic Silver thermal compound. I am also aware that these temperature readings may be LOWER than they actually are, due to the position of the sensor, which really worries me!
There was a comment on the site from which I bought the HSF saying that his temps were around 40C under load - I am assuming (and hoping) he has a lower spec CPU!
Any cooling advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Edited by tomdrayson, 22 April 2006 - 05:15 PM.

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hey!

Did you use thermal paste on the HS + CPU?

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, yes I did - Arctic Silver
(Quote: "...I used Arctic Silver thermal compound.")

Edited by tomdrayson, 22 April 2006 - 05:09 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

The idle temp is around 50-52C and under heavy load they go up to 64C (again, according to Everest). I have a spacious, well ventilated case with two powerful 120mm case fans and a HDD fan and I used Arctic Silver thermal compound. I am also aware that these temperature readings may be LOWER than they actually are, due to the position of the sensor, which really worries me!

As long as its not going up towards and over 65/70 degrees on idle, I wouldn't worry. Even processors that run at identical speeds from the same family can vary wildly temperature wise. As an example, this computer and the computer in my room both have exactly the same processor (AMD Athlon XP 2400). This one idles at about 37 degrees, the other idles at about 48. I swapped them over at some point in the past and nothing changed.

For a 3.6Ghz processor, considering Intel processors generate a ridiculous amount of heat anyway and have done all through the Pentium 4 range, to get them to idle at anything below 50 degrees is a challenge.

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi Neil thanks for replying - you have reassured me somewhat! Yeh AMDs run so much cooler than Pentiums - a friend of mine has an XP (not sure which) with an idle temp of 32! I was just worried about the 64C when gaming or encoding video/audio - it stays at that level throughout, but it has never been above that. There's not much more I can do with regard to cooling, apart from buying ANOTHER new HS+F (any recommendations....) or a water cooling system, so I think I'll just have to make do!
Thanks again

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Under load, expect it to vanish off into the mid to high 60's. It may peak into the very low 70s on occasion but the chips are designed to run at temperatures up to 85 degrees. So if you see temperatures approaching the late 60s under idle conditions, then its time to panic. Under load, if its getting into the mid to high 70s, again, time to panic.

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Today I dismantled my PC (partly because I just felt like it) and got rid of some dust inside. I took off the heatsink from the motherboard, used some Akasa thermal compound removal solution to wipe clean the bottom of the heatsink and the CPU die, reapplied my Arctic Silver to the die and screwed the heatsink back in as tight as I could.

I thought I might get the idle temp down by a few degrees. I was wrong. Idle is still at around 50 and whilst encoding video, it went up to 66. I must say I was a little disappointed.

I also noticed that the air being blown out of the fan at idle doesn't feel warm at all, it's very cool, although that's just the air movement probably. The Hyper48 gets good reviews from what I have read, and much lower temperatures than what I am experiencing, so I think it must CPU-to-heatsink heat transfer issue. But I can't do anything else about that as I have checked and re-checked everything!

Just out of interest, how much temperature difference does a doubled L2 cache make? I presume the clock speed has a much bigger influence.

Any further advice on why the [bleep] my temperatures are about 10 degrees higher than other people's with the same CPU/HSF setup would be appreciated!

Thanks

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Under full load I get up to about 48C...

I've set a warning on the motherboard for 60C, and a shutdown at 70C, I'm suprised the BIOS said the shutdown could be up to 90C! But When I read up AMDs can infact run at 90C! I think you are OK, maybe look at buying a new HSF if you are worried (look for a Zalman).

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Yeh Athlons run cooler than Pentiums anyway, plus the difference in clock speed, so I am not surprised at your temperatures. I would however be interested know the temperatures of anyone with a P4 3.6. Regarding the HSF, I specifically bought the Hyper48 to go with the new CPU, I think it was the most expensive one on the site I used, and from the reviews I have read, it's very good. This is why I am annoyed!