Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screensaver

• Please log in to reply

pricetax

pricetax

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have win XP, my screensaver will not start. I had read previous posts. I did the enable value change to 1, but it would not stay at 1, it reverted back to 0
I started in SAFE MODE ss, worked great. But not back in normal mode it will not work.
please help

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi pricetax...

Are you using a wireless mouse connected to a USB port?

Click Start, then Run, type msconfig, and click "Ok". Under the "Startup" tab, is there an entry for DVDLauncher.exe?

wannabe1

pricetax

pricetax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yes, I do have a wireless mouse connected to USB
On the DVDLauncher I have one that just says DVDLauncher not DVDLauncher.eze

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Both of these can cause the problem you describe. We'll try the DVDLauncher first.

Go back into msconfig, under the Startup tab, uncheck the box next to DVDLauncher, click "Apply", then "Ok". and Reboot.

When the machine starts, you will receive a "Selective Startup" dialog window...this is normal. Tick the box to not show it again and click "Ok". See if your screensaver starts as it should.

pricetax

pricetax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
wannabe1: IT WORKED. You have no idea how long we have been trying to get this fixed. We have went through two Dell chats, countless hours on the web, just today I read about Geeks to Go. Thank you so much.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure!! :whistling:

wannabe1