Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linking 2 pc together

• Please log in to reply

01Tony01

01Tony01

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am trying to link 2 pc together with the internet. I have a cable modem and a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 5-port Workgoup switch. I can only view the internet with one computer at a time depends on which one I boot first. I know that I can do this with the equipment that I have, because I have don't it before about 3yrs ago.
I just can't get the setup right for both to view the internet at the same time. Both computers are windows XP. I would appreciate any help that I can get.

Ok I tried the Home Networking Tutorial that was posted. Everything checks out ok on both computers, but if I turn on A computer, B computer can't view the internet. B computer (local area connection) is receiving 0. If I turn off Both A & B computer and unplug my cable modem and Linksys switch, then reconnect the power to modem then to switch, and then I turn on computer B first it works I can view the internet, but A computer can't view the internet and it says under local area connection receiving 0. So I have no idea on what to do or where to post. Please help.

Thank you.

Edited by 01Tony01, 22 April 2006 - 08:41 PM.

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Assuming your ISP assigns only one IP to you, you may want to use ICS so that both computers can access the internet. This search result may help,

ICS setup
Symptoms: after you setup ICS on an XP dial-up connects to the internet, ... This issue can occur if you do not run the ICS Setup wizard after you install ...
http://www.chicagote...et/icssetup.htm

01Tony01

01Tony01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I went to the link http://www.chicagote...et/icssetup.htm that you gave me and it didn't help any. This is where I am having a problem. Under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection. On the Advanced tab, select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection check box. On my computer the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection check box is not there. Would id be best if I just bought a router or would I still have this problem? I do only have one IP, I did not ask my ISP for a second. Thank you for taking the time out to help me.