Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my HDD is missing 50GB!

• Please log in to reply

ncabiac

ncabiac

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey guys, thank for lookin at this help thread.

I recently reinstalled windows on my fiance's computer. I was transferring over her old files when all of a sudden it ran out of space. I clicked on properties of the C: drive and to my astonishsment it was full at 31.1GB. That is odd because the HDD I have in there is an 80GB Maxtor. Does anyone know how this could have happened and/or what I can do to fix this? Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

crouchij

crouchij

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Did you reformat the drive before installing Windows again?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you have installed Win XP and during the install had the drive formatted as FAT32 then xp will only use 32 gigs of the drive. This is a quirk of the XP CD. If you had used the ntfs file system you would have the full 80 gigs showing. The only way around this is to use a win 98 floppy to format the full 80 gigs as FAT32, then install XP on the drive.

SRX660

ncabiac

ncabiac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey thanks guys. I figured it out. I had the jumper set wrong, I had it set to Master with Cylinder Limitation position. Whoops :whistling:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
At least you figured it out! :whistling: And thank you for letting us know how you fixed it so others with similar situations can benefit.

Fenor

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
I think I read somewhere that XP can see up to 132GB on a single partition, which means that if you install a 500GB drive it must be split into partitions less than 132GB each.