Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

A few problems - Ctrl-Alt-Delete doesn't work et al

• Please log in to reply

andrewdavidnelson

andrewdavidnelson

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi everyone,
I have a few minor problems, and I was hoping someone might know how to help!
First, I guess you may need details of my system: Dell Notebook Inspiron 6000, Intel Pentium M, 1.60 GHz, 797 MHz, 1.49 GB Ram, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Maxtor One Touch II 300 GB External Hard Drive.

My first two problems are messages I receive on startup. The first is:
"Microsoft .NET Framework. An unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will be shut down immediately. The key ‘allowexit’ does not exist in the appSettins configuration section." It then has options for "Details, Continue, or Quit"

The second message is:
Ins
Run-time error ‘53’:
File not found
OK

Those seem more like annoyances, as I don't feel they've actually caused any major problems in my system. A bigger problem is my Ctrl-Alt-Delete function does not work. I downloaded one of those emergency utilities tools that allows me to open the TaskManager from my hard drive, but I feel like that is just a temporary fix. Is it a conflict with software I may have (like Roxio EMC 8 or my Maxtor Drive?).

Finally, and I anticipate I will just be told to get a new card, but my internal wireless card is crazy. It is a Intel ® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Connection, and it goes in and out of perfect reception all day long. I have a Linksys router in my room, not far from my laptop. My roommates in other rooms of the house have their own laptops which never have a problem with the signal. I feel like maybe the card is loose (is that possible?). I've tried reinstalling the software, and that hasn't changed anything. Can I check the internal card myself, or would I have to take it somewhere and give it to a pro?

I apologize for the long post, but thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi andrewdavidnelson...

Click Start, then Run, type taskmgr.exe, and click "Ok".

Does this bring up the Task Manager?

wannabe1

andrewdavidnelson

andrewdavidnelson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the quick response!

To answer your question, no, it states, "taskmgr.exe, Another program is currently using this file. OK"

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...

We need to rule out malware. It can cause these issues and will block any fix we throw at the problem if it IS present. There are some that can really dig in and hide...even from the best scanners. It really takes a trained eye to catch them.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1