Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video Card

• Please log in to reply

Ribeter

Ribeter

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Looking to upgrade because of the games I play and because I have a new monitor.
My PC is a HP760n and my monitor is a Samsung 940B.
I play Unreal Tournament and Soldier of Fortune and the games lag, skip and run slow.
Plus my monitor is digital and my PC is not...so I'm looking for that
digital to digital quality and more memory.
My current video card is a TNT2-M64 32MB.
I'm looking for:
1.5v AGP
4x
DirectX 8

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Looking to upgrade because of the games I play and because I have a new monitor.
My PC is a HP760n and my monitor is a Samsung 940B.
I play Unreal Tournament and Soldier of Fortune and the games lag, skip and run slow.
Plus my monitor is digital and my PC is not...so I'm looking for that
digital to digital quality and more memory.
My current video card is a TNT2-M64 32MB.
I'm looking for:
1.5v AGP
4x
DirectX 8

Any suggestions?

hi rib welcome to GTG! :whistling: ...theres directX 9.0 out & also to get a better idea of your PC on this matter go to run type in "dxdiag" (w/out the quotes of course) and when the green scroll bar is done click on save all information on bottom right of the screen then save it as txt file somewhere you can easily get it and post those results in the txt file in your next reply if you could :blink:

Edited by jmoney3457, 22 April 2006 - 09:38 PM.

Ribeter

Ribeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Attached File  DxDiag.txt   43.75KB   135 downloads

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Attached File  DxDiag.txt   43.75KB   135 downloads

hi rib thx 4 the info.. it says you have direct x 9.0c thats the latest version but in your post u said u wanted directX 8? 8 is outdated

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
do you have the latest driver for your vid card?

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
http://www.nvidia.com/
http://www.omegadrivers.net/

JMoney, that is a very old card, I have one in a machine but the TNT2 64mb version. I will check soon, but that card may not support directx 9.

Ribeter

Ribeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
After reading your first reply, didn't know I could do it, but I downloaded directX 9 and I also have the lastest updated driver.
A friend mentioned that a good video card with my specs would be a Radeon 9600 PRO.
Still hoping to hear what you guys say first.
Thank you very much for any help.

Ribeter

Ribeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I also heard something about getting a faster processor
to help upgrade my power supply?

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

I also heard something about getting a faster processor
to help upgrade my power supply?

k rib, yes you can depending on your mothereboard/systems specs but sam does have good point upon googling it i found directX 8 may be more suitable for an older card or driver i'll wait for sams next reponse :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
For AGP 4x slots about the fastest card i would reccomend would be something along the lines of an x700 anyhting else would be bottlenecked by the AGP and you would lose performance.

A 9600 would be allright if yo u can get one really cheap but they are old relativley slow cards.

The card is not native DX9 its DX7 i believe maybe 6, old anyway, that really isnt a big factor though as you cannot not support DX usually as it will operate in a lower DX mode to compensate its a soft thing not hardware.

Driver wise its hard to get working drivers for those cards but really i think your biggest problem is the card is very slow and if you are running the games at your monitors native resolution then that would be to high for the card. Although what version of UT and SoF you are running will be a factor.

If you post your CPU and motherboards as well as your PSU wattage that would be helpful to find out what upgrades you could use, programs like sysspec or pcwizard will give you that information and your PSU wattage should be written on it. More ram and faster CPU would increase gaming performance as well as a gfx card, what level you want to play games and how fast you want them to play will be the biggest factor in how much you would need to upgrade.

Upgrades more belong in the building and upgrading forum.

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

For AGP 4x slots about the fastest card i would reccomend would be something along the lines of an x700 anyhting else would be bottlenecked by the AGP and you would lose performance.

A 9600 would be allright if yo u can get one really cheap but they are old relativley slow cards.

The card is not native DX9 its DX7 i believe maybe 6, old anyway, that really isnt a big factor though as you cannot not support DX usually as it will operate in a lower DX mode to compensate its a soft thing not hardware.

Driver wise its hard to get working drivers for those cards but really i think your biggest problem is the card is very slow and if you are running the games at your monitors native resolution then that would be to high for the card. Although what version of UT and SoF you are running will be a factor.

If you post your CPU and motherboards as well as your PSU wattage that would be helpful to find out what upgrades you could use, programs like sysspec or pcwizard will give you that information and your PSU wattage should be written on it. More ram and faster CPU would increase gaming performance as well as a gfx card, what level you want to play games and how fast you want them to play will be the biggest factor in how much you would need to upgrade.

Upgrades more belong in the building and upgrading forum.

^^what he said lol :whistling:

Ribeter

Ribeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Planning on getting a new PC later next year so I'm actually trying to stay away from upgrades other than getting a new video card compatible to my PC.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well vid card wise there is plenty choice most cards are AGP4/8x compliant so mos any of them will work all you need is to pick one probably a lower power one, you might be able to pick up a cheap FX series card for it or an x300 or x600 an x700 if you want some extra speed.

Ribeter

Ribeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks everyone for the help.
I know what direction to go in now.
And I know where to look for help if ever I need it again.

Thanks again......

Ribeter

Ribeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Being that my PSU wattage is only 200 would it be tough to add anything over a 9600 Pro?
And is upgrading my PSU an option or recommended?