Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nothing is working!

• Please log in to reply

???

???

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hi guys im a newbie that really needs help since two days ago ive had a problem with my pc i turn it on but nothing seems to run for example i click on windows explorer in desktop and i get a message box saying "windows cannot open this file" with options 1.use web service to find the app program or 2.select program from a list. im suspecting its a virus even my norton anti virus dont work.
What can i do can someone please help.
Note: {on the login screen before desktop apears i get a message box with box characters and an ok button. it wont sart untill i click ok}

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Use a computer that works, such as the one you are on right now, to download hijackthis. Save it to a floppy disk or flash drive so you can transfer it to the problematic computer.

Start the computer with the problem into Safe Mode. See here for instructions if you don't know how.

Once you are in Safe Mode, please copy HijackThis onto the computer and run it. Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you have a problem running HijackThis, even in safe mode, let me know. I've encountered a similar problem to this before and I believe I can get it working to where you can run HijackThis and all your other programs so we can figure out what's going on.

???

???

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
im sorry im not familiar with forums. this is continuing from "nothing is working" now my pc wont start in safe mode and i cant do anything in normal mode and the Blue screens Info page was not of much help im really stuck guys watcan i do?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Start it in normal mode. Does the Blue screen appear?

If successful, try opening something. Do you still get a message box saying "windows cannot open this file"?

???

???

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
no bluescreen on normal mode but nothing seems to run at all i cant even get in to system settings via cntrol panel i get message box. ive also tried "debugging mode" and "directory services restore mode"
its the same as normal mode. :whistling: sorry im sure ur busy too but im really stuck i had to get my assignment in yesterday.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I'll be here a for a bit longer. I think I know what it is, just give me a couple minutes to type up the instructions...

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Cool! I just discovered something that will make this real easy, if your problem is what I think it is. Much easier than what I was about to say...

Download the WinXP EXE Fix

Download it onto your computer and double-click on it. When it asks you "do you want to add this info to the registry?" tell it Yes.

If your problem is what I think it is, it should fix it right away. You can try your programs after using it.

???

???

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well winxpexefix wont run i stillget the message3 box saying "windows cannot open this file -use web or -select program to run this file" that didnt work but while trying programs too use to run it i got hijackthis to run somehow and i ran a scan on the pc ive attached a the log please have a look and also therer is a scan and fix options shall i try to use?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I doubt HijackThis will help us in this area, let's try the fix again...

This time, right-click on the fix and select Merge if you see it. If you do not, I have some more complicated instructions for fixing it.

I cannot stay on much longer...

???

???

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
no theres no merge option. can you attach a copy of that complicated instructions for me?

Edited by ???, 25 April 2006 - 10:25 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try double clicking on it and accept the change... :whistling:

???

???

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
nope not working !!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Please read this article on how to do the fix:

http://filext.com/in...thread.php?t=12

Read carefully! Editing the registry can be dangerous. When you get to the part about backing up the registry, do it.

I wish I could walk you through it, but I have to go. If you need help, post, and maybe another tech will see and come to help you.