Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No APG slot

• Please log in to reply

Siebenboy

Siebenboy

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Okay, so I bought a graphics card recently and opened up my computer to put it in, but what do i see? A little strip on the mother board labeled "APG" but NO SLOT. Any idea as to why this is? Or better yet, can I get an apg slot without having to buy a whole new mother board?

Ben

Advertisements

Nerelda

Nerelda

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
That means your MB doesn't have an AGP slot and no, you can't just buy an AGP slot without purchasing a whole new Mother Board.

However if you have an open PCI slot, you could buy a PCI video card. Personally, I would just get a new motherboard so I could use the new graphics card, But if you get a new mother board, also make sure that a) it uses the same kind of RAM you currently use (if it's all still pretty new), or keep in mind that you'll probably have to buy new RAM as well.

Siebenboy

Siebenboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Darn.... okay, thank you very much.

Well....one more thing I wonder is....why would they make it...apg "compatible", so to speak, (since they've got that little strip labeled apg) but not put in a slot? Is that common? Or should I contact Dell about it?

Nerelda

Nerelda

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
It could be that the original plans called for an AGP slot on that line of Mother Boards, but then it was later decided not to have it. I'm not sure. You could call Dell and ask them that question, bu I seriously doubt they'll have an answer for it. Their tech support has gone down the drain lately.

Siebenboy

Siebenboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hehe.... Okay. Thanks.