Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need to lock HD on C610 Laptop

• Please log in to reply

kb2zjm

kb2zjm

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Need help here on locking my Hard Drive on my Dell C610 Laptop. I cannot format and I need to bad. I even went to Safe Mode and did a force dismount, but says it could not do it. Running Win XP Pro SP2

Thanks in advance

Doug

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
You cannot make Windows format the drive that Windows is running on (the System drive). To format this drive you need to format it using a Windows install CD. This might be called a 'Restoration' disc by your laptop's maufacturer (Dell). You may have only a restore partition on your hard disk. A Windows install disc will probably cost a small amount since you already have bought the operating system for your computer.

When reinstalling XP there are options for creating & deleting partitions on the hard drive as well as formating or reformatting each partition.

Dell, apparently, has no free telephone support. Isn't that just great ? However, you can email support at this page. You may have to supply a serial number as well as the model number. Just ask them how you can go about getting an XP reinstallation disc.

kb2zjm

kb2zjm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks I am about to email dell. Thanks again