Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

arg help!

• Please log in to reply

IshmaelVignsten

IshmaelVignsten

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
hey guys i've got a P3 that had been playing up recently (like freezing in the middle of a game or surfing the net) so i thought perhaps its too dusty or somthing so i pulled off about half a centimeter of dust from the cpu's cooling unit thing and using a small brush got rid of about a kilo of dust -_-

anywho after i did that the computer wouldnt turn on it just made a beeeep beeeep beeeep sound when i turned it on. figuring it's getting old i started pulling out all the ummm card things (pci cards or whatever) still made the noise unplugged the hardrive cd roms etc still made the noise and then i smelt a burning smell (after only having the computer on for about 5 seconds)

so i felt around and found that the ram was very very very hot i took it out replaced it with a spare stick i had laying around (it was the only ram stick in there) so i replaced everything and success no beeping BUT when it started up the screen said "bios rom checksum error"...

i googled it and found that it means i have to flash the rom or somthing OR that the burning that i smelt did some damage to the mother board and all hope was lost...the advice was paint it and use it as a large paper weight lol

knowing my computer i decided to give it another try for old times sake and it started up got to the windows loading screen and then restart this has made me think it's not a rom thing but when i tried to turn it on again it came up with the "bios rom check sum error" thing

any ideas as to what is going on?

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Is the computer hand-built or is it a Dell, Hp, etc. ?

Try reseting the bios by locating the battery. It is a shiny coin-like device whose size is between that of a nickel and a quarter. Carefully remove the battery and keep it out for a minute. Then replace it and try to restart. You may have to go into the BIOS and adjust a few settings.

If the system appears to start up normally then repeatedly tap this sequence of keys until it enters the BIOS utility screen: Delete-Esc-F1-F2. This will get you into the BIOS utility on the vast majority of system. You will need to at least reset the time and date. Make sure the hard drive and optical drive(s) is found, too.

Hopefully the motherboard hasn't been fried. I suspect that you accidentally loosened the RAM module so that when power was applied it only made contact with some of its pins. You're lucky to have a spare RAM stick around that you can use.

Edited by WinCrazy, 23 April 2006 - 09:41 PM.

IshmaelVignsten

IshmaelVignsten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
hey thanks for the reply i'm thinking that the reason it constantly restarts could be becasue i only have 128Mb of ram in there? XP needs 256 min i believe. it's a hand built computer i often replace parts etc and i've been into the bios and everything seems fine the cpu isnt overheating either :whistling:

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
XP will start up correctly with only 128MB of RAM. You will find that it will run very slowly in that it will constantly access the hard drive because there isn't enough RAM to store the often used programs it needs. So, you'll have to look for another problem other than too little RAM.

Test the remaining RAM with Memtest86. Its available for free and comes in an ISO disc image file that can be burned to a CD using Roxio, Nero or the free CDBurnerXP Pro. Make sure the BIOS is configured to try to boot from the optical drive before it tries to boot from the hard drive.

Memtest86 should boot and run automatically. Let it run 3 complete passes. If it fails to load and run or lists multiple RAM locations that have errors then the RAM is bad.