Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Program Manager in Windows XP, HELP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

losted

losted

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi, I found this on microsoft's web site about program manager in windows 95/98 and Me versions. I wonder if there is anyway to use the program manager in XP. Here is the way they described in windows 95/98/me.
1. Click the Start button, and then click Run.
2. Type system.ini in the Open box, and then click OK.
3. Locate the line that reads "shell=Explorer.exe," and then place a semicolon (:whistling: at the beginning of the line to disable the line.
4. Add the following line beneath the line you disabled in step 3:

shell=Progman.exe

5. Save and then close the System.ini file.
6. Shut down and then restart Windows 95/98.

Thank you for reading and hopefully someone can help me with this.

Edit:
Apparently, it still exists in XP as I saw on some site, but they say go to start -> run -> progman.exe to have it displayed. Nothing comes up when I run it, any ideas?

Edited by losted, 23 April 2006 - 08:48 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi again losted...

Just what is it you are trying to accomplish that would require the program manager?

wannabe1

losted

losted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi again wannabe,

There are two things that made me look into program manager.

1. It was accessed by someone else without my notice. (found out by the monitoring tool u suggested)
2. Still want to find how applications (programs) are tracked, like a history of when you started/ended the application.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is the computer being accessed locally or remotely? Would being able to lock the keyboard and mouse help?

I still haven't found a way to log application use without purchasing a third party application...these can be a bit spendy.

losted

losted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Ok, I guess it would be better for me to state my situation. I'm kinda having this war of "who's monitoring who" with my dad. This is my personal computer, but he keeps on checking what I'm doing on the comp, leaves me with no space of privacy. I did put a password on before, but he made me to take it off. So, I would like to know how is he tracking me and counter that. I am not doing anything illegal or anything.

The monitoring tool you recommended me was good, so I checked the record of it after he used it. Program manager was accessed by him. I want to know what it exactly does and how did he access it when I can't. By entering progman.exe in start->run should open it, but it doesn't seem to work. I've read something about progman.exe icon changed to a dummy icon or something which can't be accessed.

Can you describe what exactly program manager does and how to access it please?

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

This is my personal computer, but he keeps on checking what I'm doing on the comp, leaves me with no space of privacy.

Do you realize how LUCKY you are that your Dad cares enough about you to check on you? You are a minor, therefore it is legally ok for your Dad to continue to check up on you. We will NOT be helping you hide things on your pc from your Dad. :whistling: If you aren't doing anything wrong, then there's nothing to hide, right?

Believe me, I DO understand how you feel. You think your dad should automatically trust you, that he should allow you "privacy and space". Take a minute to look at things from your Dad's side of the coin. THere are horrible people out there who lie and do/say anything they can to prey on minors. I don't just mean sexually, either. You honestly have no idea the scope of the nastiness out there. Your Dad obviously DOES, and is doing his job...trying to protect you and keep you safe.

Instead of fighting with your dad over this, why don't you show him this whole thread, and TALK to him? My daughter is nearly 17, and she knows darn well I check up on her online activities. She was mad at first, as well. But after talking about it, and me SHOWING her what's out there, she's ok with it...and glad I love her enough to take care of her. :blink:

losted

losted

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
ok I accept all that. I do have nothing to hide. Is it ok for you to just tell me if program manager shows the application history?

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
:blink: As I already said, we won't be helping you "manage" things in order for you to hide what is on that pc, or hide what you're doing on it. :help:

As evidenced by this thread, and This other of yours, you are trying to intentionally hide/erase things so your dad won't find out. :whistling: Based on that, I am closing both threads.

Edited by Kat, 23 April 2006 - 05:45 PM.